VMware Horizon Community
bturnerrb
Contributor
Contributor

Setting PCoIP internally without pools

Hello,

I am evaluating view 5 to show proof of concecpt and I ran into a snag.  I would like my thin client to automatically connect to a computer via user account from the LDAP connection intergrated in AD.  I set that up, but I am not able to setup the desktop without assigning it a pool.  How can I get this PCoIP setup internally?

Thanks,

Bryan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RogerSween
Contributor
Contributor

I think you're going to have to finish by setting up the View connection server and pool a desktop that way.

0 Kudos
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is a nice article. Have seen this..??

http://blog.solori.net/2011/03/21/short-take-vmware-view-whats-up-with-pcoip/

abirhasan   
0 Kudos
bturnerrb
Contributor
Contributor

So I would have to create a pool for each individual computer and then entitle each user to that specific pool?

0 Kudos
bturnerrb
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I looked at that article, but unfortunately it does not say how to setup it up internally.  I see a lot about remote access outside using the security server but I am not sure I would need that if I am doing it internally on the same LAN.

0 Kudos
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I understand what you're asking for correctly, I think it's something that I see fairly often. Do I understand the situation correctly if I say that you have some end-point devices that you'd like to use, but they should always connect to the same View desktop? It can be done, but it can get tricky if you want to have unique AD users authenticate using their own credentials. Essentially, it starts with a service account for each end-point device. You can then create a dedicated assignment pool with the correct number of desktops to meet your needs, and assign each service account to its respective VM in the pool. Then, you can either set a value in the Run key of the registry or have a script run in the background that launches the View client with the service account username and password, and connects directly to the dedicated assignment pool. The end-point device will always connect to the View desktop it's assigned to then.

The tricky part is if you'd like it to stop before logging into Windows, so that an AD user can enter credentials to authenticate to Windows. To do that, you'll have to disable single signon using a group policy object with the adm files included on the connection server. But if nobody has authenticated to the Windows VM in 15 minutes after the service account has connected to the View desktop, the session will timeout and the service account will have to reconnect again.

Let me know if this makes any sense, or if you have any questions about what I'm suggesting. I'm sorry if I'm not understanding your situation correctly, and maybe offering advice on a completely unrelated subject.

Dave

0 Kudos
RogerSween
Contributor
Contributor

I did that because my admin account does not allow me to spin up virtual linked clones as needed

so I spun up a couple of VM's (windows 7 workstations), set them up for automatic, floating and entitled the test users to have at em.

0 Kudos