VMware Horizon Community
Pman201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Set view client to auto connect to server

Hi there,

I'm relatively new VMWare, so my appologies if this is not the correct forum to post this question. May be a moderator can move this to appropriate forum if necessary. It might be a trivial question, but I wasn't able to find the answer. So, I thought I'd ask here.

I'm setting up a Thin Client (HP t5740 running XP Embedded) in Kiosk mode where the VMWare is the only application available to the user. When the computer is booted up, the VMware View Client 4.6 is automatically loaded and it's also set to automatically connect to vmware server waiting for users to enter their login credentials.

If I click on the "X" on top right corner of the view client login window, the client automatically loads again and connects to the vmware server. That's the behaviour I want. However, if I click on the "Cancel" button on the client's login window, then the client goes back to the original window that asks for entering "Connection Server".

If a user does click on Cancel in the login window, I'd like the client to automatically connect to the vmware server that was used initially and bring back the login window again OR, disable that "Cancel" button on the login window.

Can this be done? I hope I was able to explain clearly above, but if you need more information, please advise.

Thank you,

Pman

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
theandyorr
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think it's possible to modify the client from preventing use of the 'cancel' button, but you could always enable EWF protection on the thin-client. Regardless of the user clicking 'Cancel' and modifying the connection server name, a reboot would bring it back to a fresh image.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but figured I'd bring it up anyway.

0 Kudos
Pman201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I already have EWF enabled on the thin client, so users changes won't be saved when the thin client is rebooted. You're right that a reboot or log off will bring back the fresh image again.

I guess it's more of a wish Smiley Happy. Thought there might be a registry setting that can enable or disable cancel button or prevent users from editing the "Connection Server" field.

Regards,

Pman

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you have this option during installation of View Client.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
vLarus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Pman,

I haven't tried out the HP thin Clients but with most software VIew clients I have used there is an option you can make the client reconnect if the View mahcine is closed. Also see if there's a newer version of the Software client for the HP box.

I've mainly been using Wyse P20's in my View setups and they are great regarding Kiosks. So if you want to check out other boxes I higly recommend trying P20 as it has all the funcionality you described you needed.

Good luck.

vmice.net
0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Use the -serverURL command-line flag (for more info on command-line flags, run "wswc.exe /?").  This should provide what you're looking for; if the user cancels out of the connection, the application closes instead of letting them back to the Connect dialog.  In combination with Kiosk mode, this should be what you're looking for.

0 Kudos
Pman201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks grossag. I will try out the command line of the wswc.exe and see what I can find out.

Regards,

Pman

0 Kudos
jgo
Contributor
Contributor

You can also change the Windows shell from explore.exe to the View client so that the View client is the only thing the thin client can run.  If a user closes/cancels the View client it opens back up automatically.  Here's how to do it - http://www.knowledgesutra.com/forums/topic/20367-how-to-change-the-windows-xp-shell/

FYI - changing the shell may interfere with other applications that launch at startup.  Antivirus should be OK but things like wireless managers (other than Windows Zero Config or WLAN) I have seen have issues after the shell has changed.

And now the shameless plug...Get Wyse Go Far!

0 Kudos