VMware Horizon Community
RLI2013
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Set a virtual desktop into maintenance mode on the desktop itself

Dear all

We use dedicated full clones and deploy our Software via SCCM to the virtual Desktops (VNware Horizon 7.1, ESX 6.5).

While doing Software updates on our virtual Desktops (VD) I'd like to put the VD into maintenance mode, so the user is not able to connect to his dedicated Desktop during this time. So as soon as the Software update on the VD starts I would like to invoke a command on the VD itself that sets maintMode=on. In the post Installation (as soon as the deployment has finished) I'd like to set maintMode=off again and the user will be able to connect again.

In my understanding setting a VD into maintenance mode is a View Administrator, specially a ADAM Attribut/Status. I can run a powerCLi command on the Connection Server and put Desktops into maintenance mode, but this is not the goal I'm adressing. I want to set the VD (specially the ViewAgent) localy, while running a script on the VD, into maintenance mode. Is this possible? Alternatively the status "customizing" could be a solution as well. While sysprep is running view administrator shows the Desktop in Status "customizing". How can this state be set directly on the Desktop instead as on the Connection Server? I know kb.vmware.com/kb/1024421 but this does not help much, because even changing the reg key to "1" shows my Agent as "Available"... (only after reboot it changes to "Agent unreachable", not "customizing"...)

Any help much appreciated.

BTW: on the VDs there is no View PowerCLI...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Could not find any information on setting the Maintenance mode local to the Virtual Desktop. Looks like the only method is to call it from the PowerCLI.

0 Kudos