VMware Horizon Community
MHASKETT
Contributor
Contributor

Set Install to Default to the Full View Client

This may seem like an odd request, but is there a way to configure View to prompt to install the full View client as opposed to the default Portal (ActiveX) install? The issue is that we are bringing up a new View 4 site and USB printing is required by our users. In order to make the transistion to View easier for our users, we would just like to be able to automatically push the full client instead of the Portal client. If this is not an option, has anyone out there discovered any methods of pushing the client out to end users with as little fuss as possible? (I've found some silet install settings that I'm going to test...)

With the proliferation and importance of USB devices, it seems like USB functionality should be an option out of the gate (we can always restrict USB devices on the backend via pool policies).

Regardless, your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
soehl
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, here is a little work arround.

On the Connection Broker under c:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\broker\webapps\downloads.war\ you a find a cab-file named VMware-viewclient.cab. You must unpack this file, after this you have two files, VMware-viewclient-xxxxxxxxxx.exe which is the binary and

vdmclient.inf which is the file you must edit.

Change the line from this:

run=%%EXTRACT_DIR%%\VMware-viewclient-xxxxxxxxxx.exe /S /V"""/qb ADDLOCAL=Core DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=0 QUICKLAUNCH_SHORTCUT=0 STARTMENU_SHORTCUT=0"""

to this:

run=%%EXTRACT_DIR%%\VMware-viewclient-xxxxxxxxxx.exe /S /V""" /qb DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=1 QUICKLAUNCH_SHORTCUT=0 STARTMENU_SHORTCUT=1"""

DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=1 and STARTMENU_SHORTCUT=1 is for adding symbol on the desktop and a entry in the startmenu.

After this you must repack the booth files to a new cab fille named VMware-viewclient.cab.

I done this with Zipstar, cabpack works also fine.

Now comes the very tricky part, the new cab file must signed with valid certificate.

First you must create/got a certificate that have the availability for code signing.

You can create such a certicate with a Microsoft CA, it is a standard template.

The real signing process is very difficult to describe, signcode.exe is the right tool for this.

Read the following links:

After the signing put the cab file back to c:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\broker\webapps\downloads.war\ .

I hope it works for you. Smiley Happy

Best regards.

0 Kudos
MHASKETT
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, for the info, soehl. It is much appreciated. I'm having problems getting a cert created, but I hope to have one by the end of today. I'll keep you posted.

Again, thanks.

0 Kudos
imclaren
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any chance that the repacked file can be made publically available? I'd like to do this too, and I think it will be a common request.

Thanks,

Iain

0 Kudos
MHASKETT
Contributor
Contributor

Ultimately, I think I will end up just offering up the file (with install options) over either our web site or via FTP.

>>> imclaren <communities-emailer@vmware.com> 3/1/2010 4:24 AM >>>

A new message was posted in the thread "Set Install to Default to the Full View Client":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1484515#1484515

Author : imclaren

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/imclaren

0 Kudos