VMware Horizon Community
johandijkstra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Session logoff after removing vmlm_helper.exe

At a customer, we experience very slow logon times > 1 minute...

After doing some tweaks,

"DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout"=dword:00000002

We noticed the vmlm_helper.exe popup screen taking a long time, after that we created a gpo to exclude the vmlm_helper.exe

C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe,”C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Agent\bin\wssm.exe”,”CL\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\ScannerRedirection\diagutil.exe” /c /q /ds,

we removed the :  C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Agent\bin\vmlm_helper.exe part.

Now, with one user, no problems and logon time 20 seconds, except for all other test users...when they try to login, they will be logged off immediatly when the desktop shows...

We now removed the policy for userinit (so it is original again) and it works fine, except for the slow / very long login time...

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vJoeG
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What is the difference with that one user vs. the other 'test users'? Are they in different OU's perhaps.

Do you have access to the golden image? Before deploying pools you could stop/disable the VMware Logon monitor service and push an update to the pools?

------------------
Joe Graziano
Senior Solution Engineer - EUC Federal
VCP7-DTM, VCP6-DM, VCP6-DCV
vExpert, vExpertPro
jgraziano@vmware.com
0 Kudos
johandijkstra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, same users in same OU, no test users, key users...

We pushed the Userinit with GPO, we did not have time to openup the golden image....

"Before deploying pools you could stop/disable the VMware Logon monitor service and push an update to the pools?" Is this a better way? After we revert the change with GPO it worked again...that's strange...

0 Kudos
vJoeG
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That is strange that reverting the GPO worked again.

GPO is definitely one way to do it and I don't believe either method is 'recommended' over the other. WIth GPO you could have cases where the issue would reappear if the GPO doesn't process properly.

Where if you disable the service in the Gold image you won't have it running in any case.

------------------
Joe Graziano
Senior Solution Engineer - EUC Federal
VCP7-DTM, VCP6-DM, VCP6-DCV
vExpert, vExpertPro
jgraziano@vmware.com
0 Kudos
johandijkstra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, that's the idea.... to fix it in the golden image... and then test.

It is still strange that a vmware proces takes this long...i have seen several posts about other product which might stall this item, but due to the time I had, I could not investigate...

But, with vmlm_helper.exe "enabled", 1 minute 20 to logon, with vmlm_helper.exe "disabled" 22 seconds... that's a huge difference!

And yes, it is very strange, one user can just work with the GPO enabled, others don't, and without the GPO everyone can work...

To be continued Smiley Happy

0 Kudos