VMware Horizon Community
Hmunning
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Session Collaboration Horizon 7 vs Horizon 8

On our new Horizon 8 environment "session collaboration" works differently than on the old Horizon 7 environment. On the Horizon 8 environment an invitation for session collaboration from another domain has to be sent with the entire UPN. From the primary domain you can just start a session collab with userid.

On our old Horizon 7 environment you can start session collaboration from any domain with just the userid. So without a UPN prefix. I already looked at the domain list include/exclude/search options, but we didn't see any strange settings or options that could be related to this problem.

So when using more than one domain in Horizon 8 we see this behavior:

- User invite from same domain can be done with username only
- Invite user from other domain can only be done with UPN-format (DOMAINuser)

Possibly session collaboration works quite differently in Horizon 8 . Is there an option to pre-set the search domain or add an default prefix ? All entitlements of all pools from multiple domains are issued from the primary domain.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chengs
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I just tried in my 7.x environment, and the behavior is the same as your Horizon 8. That is to say, to invite a collaborator in trusted domain, I have to use Domain\user but not username directly.  Also, the behavior described in the “Horizon 8” section is more consistent with what I expected. Specifically, when the Horizon Agent requests that the Horizon Server look up an account for collaboration, it has the following behavior:

1. If the search query matches an account that was previously looked up (regardless of domain), the full account information will show up in the query results popup and the user can choose that. This will automatically add the correct domain because we have already done a lookup of the user info.
  2. If the user doesn’t choose a search query result or there are no query results, the current logged-in user’s domain is automatically added if necessary. So for example, if the user enters “domain\user” or “user@domain.com” then we don’t add anything. But if they just entered “user”, then we will automatically add the current domain so we are actually looking up “domain\user”.

So my only explanation is that the “Horizon 7” behavior is actually occurring because the person has already looked up a collaborator by full domain\user or UPN at least once. Then from there, the username is auto-completed.

0 Kudos
Ross58
Contributor
Contributor

Session Collaboration; Performance Tracker; HTML Blast; Thin Clients ... Horizon 8.x no longer supports Horizon Client 5.x and older.

DGCustomerFirst Survey

@chengs wrote:

I just tried in my 7.x environment, and the behavior is the same as your Horizon 8. That is to say, to invite a collaborator in trusted domain, I have to use Domain\user but not username directly.  Also, the behavior described in the “Horizon 8” section is more consistent with what I expected. Specifically, when the Horizon Agent requests that the Horizon Server look up an account for collaboration, it has the following behavior:

1. If the search query matches an account that was previously looked up (regardless of domain), the full account information will show up in the query results popup and the user can choose that. This will automatically add the correct domain because we have already done a lookup of the user info.
  2. If the user doesn’t choose a search query result or there are no query results, the current logged-in user’s domain is automatically added if necessary. So for example, if the user enters “domain\user” or “” then we don’t add anything. But if they just entered “user”, then we will automatically add the current domain so we are actually looking up “domain\user”.

So my only explanation is that the “Horizon 7” behavior is actually occurring because the person has already looked up a collaborator by full domain\user or UPN at least once. Then from there, the username is auto-completed.

0 Kudos