VMware Horizon Community
bozitsu
Contributor
Contributor

Serial port printing issue, VMware View 4.6

Hello,

i am having problems printing to localy attached serial port printer OKI ML 290. From that thick client (Windows XP Professional) i connect to my View 4.6 environment and choose Windows 7 Enterprise virtual machine. Inside virtual machine i am using a Travsys COMMS Pro client which grabs and transfers the session from the mainframe. It is some sort of terminal emulating software. Anyways i did not made any changes to virtual machine (i.e. adding virtual com ports) and from Windows 7 command line i can print on that localy attached printer by passing a dir > com1 command. The communication is either using RDP or using PCoIP. Anyway the setup worked in Citrix HDX scenario, so there should be no network blocking scenario.

So, we have applied the same setup for Windows 7 virtual machine as we did with Windows 7 installed directly on to the localy attached printer where the setup is sucessfull and we get to print from Travsys client.

Has anyone got the similar problem? Do you have any resources from VMware how the serial port redirection is being passed and redirected. I have tried vmware documentation and google search but without any luck so far.

Thanks,

Bozo

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bozitsu
Contributor
Contributor

This issue has been resolved with a usb to serial adapter. With PCoIP there is nothing to setup aditionally the COM port appears automatically with big COM port numbers in device manager like COM11, COM12. The only thing you need to do is to install the driver if it is Windows XP, for W7 there is no need for it. My application has no problems using so high rank numbers. With RDP you will have to enable USB redirection and this depends on vendor and model of the thin client. I have sucessfully tested using various Wyse clients with PCOiP but for RDP i had to install Wyse TCX USB virtualizer license.

0 Kudos