VMware Horizon Community
Mike_MT
Contributor
Contributor

Security Server only or Connection okay for Internal?

I'm configuring my View 5 environment and I am at the last few steps which include installing the security server.

Is there any reason or advantage to connect clients only via the security server?

Or is it okay to connect internal clients directly to the connection server?

Is there a best practices or recommended configuration from VMware?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The Security Server is utilized to facilitate connections from outside the network.    If this isn't applicable in your environment then you don't need to use it.

0 Kudos
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There are some advantages by using a security server for internal connections.  I would tell you not to use it unless you see some advantage to doing it.  Less is more when it comes to troubleshooting, etc.

Why I would use a Security Server Internally?

When using a security server you basically proxy connections from your user devices (thin clients, zero clients, ipads, repurposed pcs, etc) to use a single connection to your VDI environment.  You also reduce the number of ports and protocols that need to be open to your VDI environment.  A typical internal connection will broker the connection to your windows virtual desktop then hand the connection off straight to the Windows VDI image.  Not a bad thing but your user device is connecting directly to virtual desktop.  What if you have a large network and can't guarantee all the firewall settings will be open or routing to get you from your device straight to the virtual desktop?  This is where a security server can help you.

Typical Internal Connection

User Device ----------> Broker (authenticates, then tells you what desktop to connect to)

User Device ----------> Virtual Desktop

Security Server Internally

User Device ----------> Security Server   -----------> Broker (Authenticate, chose virtual desktop)

User Device ----------> Security Server -------------> Windows VDI

Again, i'm not saying you should do this.  Just know why someone would do it and it make sense to do.

Try our VMWare View Demo on www.virtualdojo.com