VMware Horizon Community
JLogan3o13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Screen resolution issues with View 4.5 and PCOIP.

I know this question has been asked before, but I have yet to find a solid solution. The last activity I saw on this was in October of 2010, so I thought I would begin anew rather than resurrecting an old thread. Please see the problem description below.

We have a number of XP VMs configured in a dynamic pool for our users. The pool settings are set to allow a maximum of 4 monitors, with a max resolution of 1920 x 1200 on each monitor. Users report that when they log in and attempt to change the resolution, the Settings tab in the display properties page is gone.

Through researching this, I have stumbled across VM KB article 1020809,  updated less than a month ago, that details a fix for this issue (changing the NoDispSettingsPage registry value to 0). I have done this on my master template, however when the users log in it is set back to 1.

There was also a thread in this forum that suggested changing the Multi-Monitor option in the Pool Settings back to 1, letting vCenter update, then changing it back, and then doing a shutdown and startup on all the machines. I tried this as well, but it did not resolve this issue.

Lastly, I tried to DISABLE the Hide Settings Page option in Group Policy, but the setting stays at 1. I can change the screen resolution through a script (it doesn't persist through a logoff/logon, which is another matter), but cannot get the Settings tab to show up.

I see there is an adm template for Vista or Windows 7, but am I correct that there is nothing more that can be done for XP? I cannot figure out why this keeps getting set back to 1, and am hoping that my users are not going to all be stuck at a resolution of 1920 x 1200. As a secondary note, if I change it programmatically, what key(s) do I need to capture to have it persist through a logoff (we are using a third party profile management tool call ProfileUnity)?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What is the native resolution of the monitors in use? I have found that View will automatically set resolution according to native resolution. At least that appears to be the case in my situation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have had this issue has well. It is a pain, but each time you reboot or logon/off this setting reverts back to no video settings tab. What I did was put a vbscript into the all users startup folder in my base VM. It works fine for me. Hope you find it useful. Here it is:

'Restores missing tabs in the Display properties
'For use with Windows® XP only.
'Created on May 09, 2006
'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'    Homepage: http://windowsxp.mvps.org
'    Copyright © 2006, Ramesh Srinivasan
'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Option Explicit
Dim WshShell, basekey,basekey2, rtn
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
basekey="HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\"
Task1
basekey="HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\"
Task1
basekey2="HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\"
Task2
basekey2="HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\"
Task2
Sub Task1()
On Error Resume Next
rtn = WshShell.Regdelete (basekey & "NoDispCPL")
rtn = WshShell.Regdelete (basekey & "NoDispAppearancePage")
rtn = WshShell.Regdelete (basekey & "NoDispBackgroundPage")
rtn = WshShell.Regdelete (basekey & "NoDispScrSavPage")
rtn = WshShell.Regdelete (basekey & "NoDispSettingsPage")
On Error Goto 0
End Sub
Sub Task2()
On Error Resume Next
rtn = WshShell.Regdelete (basekey2 & "NoThemesTab")
rtn = WshShell.Regdelete (basekey2 & "ClassicShell")
rtn = WshShell.Regdelete (basekey2 & "NoChangingWallPaper")
rtn = WshShell.Regdelete (basekey2 & "ForceActiveDesktopOn")
rtn = WshShell.Regdelete (basekey2 & "NoActiveDesktop")
rtn = WshShell.Regdelete (basekey2 & "NoWebView")
On Error Goto 0
End Sub
Wshshell.RUN ("regsvr32.exe shell32.dll -i -s")
Wshshell.RUN ("regsvr32.exe themeui.dll -s")
Set WshShell = Nothing
JLogan3o13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response. I have something similar in a KIX script on login (I would prefer to use VB, but our profile management tool only handles Kix). The problem I run into, however, is that the users then need to readjust their resolution on each login. Seems to me there should be a way to save this once I set it.

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What is the native resolution of the monitors in use? I have found that View will automatically set resolution according to native resolution. At least that appears to be the case in my situation.

0 Kudos
harddrive41
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm in the same boat.  I like the fact that View defaults to the native res, but like everyone else we have some people that can't see, and some people that need more desktop space and of course, no one wants to spend the $.

I tried the GPO as well today...no luck.  I will try the VB script...as a work around for now, I guess.

0 Kudos
JLogan3o13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This appears to be resolved, for me at least. We are using the Samsung NC240 zero clients. A firmware upgrade allowed me to change the display setting on the client from "Native" to what the end user wanted (24" monitor at 1280 x 1024 - enough to make your eyes bleed). The setting seems to be holding through a logoff/logon.

0 Kudos
harddrive41
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm using Wyse R90L's w/XP SP3 Embedded.  You changed the Terminal itself and not the VM?  If that's the case it won't work for us because I startup a custom shell that only launches the View Client....

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Glad to hear you found a solution and thanks for sharing.

0 Kudos
qmacker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where do I find the option to change the display setting on the NC240? Do you have to physically sit at the client to do it, or can I do it by logging into the firmware? When I log into the NC240 firmware/PCoIP client itself, I get the following options.

Configuration / Permission / Diagnostics / Info / Upload

I can't find Display/Resolution settings. Probably just not "seeing" it (no pun intended). Many thanks!

Configuration / Permission / Diagnostics / Info / Upload
Firmware Version:     3.4.0
Firmware Build ID:     rc_tera1_r3_4@11161
Firmware Build Date:     Jun 2 2011 18:32:06
0 Kudos