VMware Horizon Community
AlexLSx7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Screen Lag Especially When Typing

We seem to have started to get some screen lag, especially when typing, it feels slow and sometimes doesnt appear for a second or two. Noticeably after upgrading to View 7.5 but cant confirm if that is the cause.

We have 1GB lines between our offices to our datacenter.

One office is suffering a lot more than the rest but all have the symptoms.

I have been monitoring the bandwidth on the sites and at the data center and the lines are barely doing anything, we are not coming anywhere near 1GB by a huge amount, that is the same for all the lines. I have also been monitoring user session stats like Memory and CPU usage, most of the time the VM is flat lining at a very low amount so their not even making the machine sweat. We are pretty new and powerful hardware and storage so i dont have a clue what can be causing this.

Some days it is better than others.

All the boxes are HP T310 Zero Clients using PCoIP. Non Persistent Linked Clones.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Typically a View session freezing/hanging/going to a black screen is caused by one of two things.

1. Network interruption/latency/packet loss
  2. The virtual desktop with the Horizon Agent installed is starved for resources/heavily utilized and can't communicate quick enough.
0 Kudos
AlexLSx7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am going to have to try and get some more info out of our network as i am wondering if the monitoring thats been setup is really showing correctly.

Definitely not starved of resources though that's for sure. This host has the most users logged in (30) at the moment -

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you are using PCoIP you can fire up the PCoIP Session Statistics Viewer which will monitor latency/packet loss that the Horizon Agent is reporting. You can also look directly at the PCoIP logs. I've not yet found an equivalent for monitoring Blast sessions.

I agree that your resource utilization show lows but that's not the full picture. You could have CPU ready issues, storage latency/loss, network latency/loss, etc...

0 Kudos
AlexLSx7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Will give the PCOIP session statistics viewer a try and see if i can see anything from there, thanks.

I have looked at esxtop and can see no latency on the storage from there. Still waiting on our network provider to give us access to their monitoring tools so i can see whats going on with them.

0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know this is a bit old but wanted to know if you ever found a solution to this. We have an almost identical setup. 1GB circuit connecting our office to our datacenter. Everyone uses zero clients to connect. We've recently migrated everyone from Windows 7 to Windows 10 desktops. We did not have this issue on Windows 7, and only seem to see it on Windows 10. In general the desktop does not seem to lag, it only seems to affect typing. Sometimes you can type something out and it will take 10 or more seconds for the letters on the screen to catch up. esxtop looks fine, new vm's have the same cpu and memory as the old ones, we aren't overprovisioned anywhere, bandwidth on our circuit is very low, fast storage. Anyone else run into this?

0 Kudos
moto316
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Facing this issue as well with our recent migration from 2vCPU 4GB RAM Win7 linked clone desktops to 3vCPU 8GB RAM Win10 Instant clone desktops. Our environment is hardly overprovisioned at the moment, 1.4 vCPU/pCPU ratio, always sub 1% RDY times. Ran troubleshooting today with a user and found that the lag goes away when I ask them to unplug their second 1080p monitor. When running single monitor performance is restored. We run Wyse P25 PCoIP zero clients exclusively. I'll be testing with a 10Zig Blast client and P45 PCoIP zero client tomorrow to see if those are able to run dual monitor configurations better.

If the roadmap for vSGA and vGPU wasn't such a sh*tshow right now from Nvidia and VMware I would have gladly pulled the trigger on some M10's and gave each desktop 512MB of vSGA vRAM.

0 Kudos
sejwong
Contributor
Contributor

Also seem to be having the same issue.  Windows 10 seems to be pretty laggy with zero clients.  The base image is optimized by the Vmware Optimizer and we are experiencing some lagginess while typing.

We put this Win10 1809 LTSC pool in a brand new cluster with no other VMs running just for testing purpose so there should not have any CPUrdy issue.

Anyone find any fixes?  On 7.13

0 Kudos