VMware Horizon Community
mapostol
Contributor
Contributor

Scanning & Printing in VDI environment

Hello,

i would like to ask if anyone has successfuly tested any solutions that would improve printing/scanning in a virtual desktop environment.

We are testing View 5.1 at one of our customers and we are experiencing a big delay in printing/scanning (>20sec per job even in a LAN environment).

In the final configuration this should work properly over WAN....

Did anyone face similar issues?

Thank you in advance!

Mike.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I have moved this over to the VMware View manager forum which is more active and should yield more responses for you.    Are you using USB redirection for your scanning/printing?    

0 Kudos
mapostol
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the help!

We are using USB redirection.

The printer/scanner (it is only one device) is connected directly to the zero client.

i haven't tried using thinprint yet...

the delay is worse with the scanning actually and i am trying to find any solution that would improve such a scenario.

thanks!

M.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Is this on color scanning or black white?   To be honest we tested USB redirection and Scanners and ended up scrapping it because of the performance issues when scanning.    

0 Kudos
mapostol
Contributor
Contributor

Black and white

this is the device if it makes any difference Smiley Happy

http://global.epson.com/newsroom/2010/news_20100723.html

i'm afraid we will reach your conclusion as well...

0 Kudos
mapostol
Contributor
Contributor

What solution did you use in the end?

Thanks!

M

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

In the end we had the user's utilize their local OS whenever they  needed to scan.   They just scanned into a shared folder for both their VDI and Physical machine.  

MikeLarcher
Contributor
Contributor

One thing I overlooked initially with using USB redirection was adding the USB hub device to the VM, like you would when connecting a device to a host and then to a server.  I have not tried to scan from a thin client yet, we failed to get webcams working, but also didn't have one of the few on the HCL.

0 Kudos