VMware Horizon Community
bbmark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Scanner redirection with 6.0.2 FP

Hi,

I've upgraded to 6.0.2 and windows Client 3.2.

But I'm not pretty sure if the Scanner redirection works properly.

If I run the mspaint.exe, then Scan succeeded. While when I use "Windows Fax and Scan", there will be a message box popped up which saying "This=0x?????" ? stands for numbers。

Is it a known issue? or something wrong with my environment?

Is there a sample operation to refer?  thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

so the fax/scan issue is a bug with the new scanner redirection feature.

i have a blog post coming out shortly that will better explain the feature, but in summary it DOESNT use USB redirection. when you tested the zero client, or indeed the older client software without the scanner functionality installed then thats all using the original USB redirection functionality. This does in deed work in many cases, but you will find that across a WAN then scanning can then take a very long time, and for some scanners their drivers will timeout/fail.

so the new scanning redirection functionality captures the image at the local client endpoint, compresses it and sends the image as a whole to the guest where its presented back via a virtual scanner device to the application. This is much like how we do the RTAV functionality.

the result is that things should work much more reliably across a wan/unreliable network.

the fax/scan issue with the new scanner functionality is a bug which we are working on fixing, and hope to fix it v soon,

make sense?

cheers

peterB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi.

Unfortunately I can confirm this is indeed an issue with compatability with Microsoft fax&scan application. We are working on a resolution to this right now. If possible, pls try to use other image acquisition applications.

Cheers

Peterb

bbmark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Peterb,

Thanks for your confirmation.

BTW, I was wondering if we could have some tool to monitor the scanner redirection function? Maybe like WMI counter?

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi,

can i ask what the wmi counter would show, or help you with? Id like to understand your requirement and usecase a bit more,

thanks

peterB

0 Kudos
bbmark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I wanna show the statistics about scanner redirection. Is that possible?

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

well, im trying to understand what sort of stats you'd find useful from a scanner. is it just bandwidth? or something else?

im struggling a little to understand what the use case really is here as Im not sure what sort of data you are wanting to see.

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
bbmark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks for your patience.

to be honest, I'm not pretty sure what should be included in the stats. I just wanna make it transparent when I'm using this feature to make the the function is running good or bad. If good, what the bandwidth is, and everything related. If bad, I could get some clue about it to narrow down the root cause.

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

the feature is really to make scanning more reliable and faster. when doing scans with USB this was often slow or unreliable - especially over a lossy wan network link.

ultimately, whether it is working or not will come down to whether the scan succeeds or not. WMI counters won't really give you anything more meaningful than this IMO.

0 Kudos
bbmark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Peter and wish A Happy New Year!

I'm looking at the ETW(event Tracing for Windows) if it could help.

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

happy new year to you too!

I'm sorry, but I still don't really know what EWT would be "tracking", or how that could help. Im not really sure what the problem is that needs solving here. is it simply that you want to "see" the scanning network traffic bandwidth?

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is scanning only a problem if you're using View 6.0.2, the View software client, and Windows Fax and Scan?

Asking because I just tested the Windows Fax and Scan with View 6.0.2 on a Zero Client and it's working fine.  So just curious if it's only related to the software view client.

Edit: I was able to scan using Windows Fax and Scan with a Fujitsu scanner with 3.1.0 and 3.2.0 of the View client.  I did not enable the scanner re-direction or whatever it's called when I installed the View Agent though.  What exactly does that do?

0 Kudos
bbmark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi Peter,

Just show me how to display bandwidth.That's cool.

0 Kudos
bbmark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi nzorn,

That's weird. "Two roads diverged in a wood."

How about fitting in some other scanner and Thin Client?

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

so the fax/scan issue is a bug with the new scanner redirection feature.

i have a blog post coming out shortly that will better explain the feature, but in summary it DOESNT use USB redirection. when you tested the zero client, or indeed the older client software without the scanner functionality installed then thats all using the original USB redirection functionality. This does in deed work in many cases, but you will find that across a WAN then scanning can then take a very long time, and for some scanners their drivers will timeout/fail.

so the new scanning redirection functionality captures the image at the local client endpoint, compresses it and sends the image as a whole to the guest where its presented back via a virtual scanner device to the application. This is much like how we do the RTAV functionality.

the result is that things should work much more reliably across a wan/unreliable network.

the fax/scan issue with the new scanner functionality is a bug which we are working on fixing, and hope to fix it v soon,

make sense?

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Peter,

Thanks for the explanation, that does make sense now.  I'll add it to my list of things to test with before pushing out to my users.

0 Kudos
bbmark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Peter.

I got pretty much the whole story of Scanner Redirection. And it definitely means a lot to me.

Wish you could fix it ASAP.

BTW, I've already received H6.1. literally, there's nothing new as I can see.

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

we are working on fixing microsoft fax/scan issue now... Please note that other applications work perfectly well with capturing images from the scanner.

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

just a quick note to say that the Microsoft fax/scan app now works as a scanning app with Scanner Redirection with the newly released Horizon 6.1.1 agent (and the Windows 3.4 client).

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
gmtx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Peter,

The release notes for 6.11 advise caution when enabling scanner redirection due to a significant effect on consolidation ratios, to the point where the recommendation is to create a separate pool for users with scanner redirection enabled. Can you explain more about this please?

Thanks,

Geoff

0 Kudos