VMware Horizon Community
abywaters
Contributor
Contributor

Scanner Redirection and USB Scanners

VMware Horizon: 8.4.0
Scanner Model:  Canon ImageFORMULA DR-M260

We're starting to explore using desktop scanners in our Horizon VDI environment. I currently have the scanner connected to the client machine via USB and have the scanner drivers installed on the client machine as well (client machine is a Windows 10 laptop). The connected scanner works properly outside of the VDI session on the Windows 10 laptop.

Within the guest OS, the scanner is detected by the agent and I'm seeing the VMware Virtual WIA Scanner imaging device in Device Manager. We're using the CaptureOnTouch Pro software (compatible with VMware Horizon scanner redirection according to Canon's documentation) to capture the scans. This all works properly with USB redirection enabled. With USB redirection disabled, the scanner is still detected by the agent, but the CaptureOnTouch Pro software does not detect the scanner.

My coworker who is more-senior than I am is under the impression that scanning should still work with USB redirection disabled. I'm under the impression that scanner redirection and usb redirection work in conjunction with one another. I can't seem to find the answer that I'm looking for in any documentation, so I figured that I would ask here to see if anyone could answer the below questions I have.

Question: If scanner redirection is enabled and a scanner is connected to a Windows client machine via USB, does USB redirection also need to be enabled in order for scanning to work properly within the VDI session? If scanner redirection is enabled and USB redirection is enabled, does the scanning operation leverage that scanner redirection or is everything just taking place with the USB redirection?

If there's any additional information or clarification that i could provide about the environment, please let me know and i'll be happy to add anything else that may be needed.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WeOutHere
Contributor
Contributor

In my experience Horizon does not automatically redirect the scanner and make it an available device. USB redirection needs to be on and either Connect at Startup needs to be toggled on or the individual toggle for the scanner needs to be toggled on for the scanner to actually work in apps like QB Point of Sale. 

0 Kudos
BenTrojahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I cannot help you with "CaptureOnTouch Pro" specifically, but to answer your question, no you don't need and shouldn't be using both USB redirection and Scanner redirection at the same time for the same device.  Generally, avoid USB redirection whenever there is a built virtual channel as there is for scanner, serial, etc...  It's a great idea to blanket deny all USB and then only allow approved devices by PIDs to avoid inadvertent devices into your sessions. 

your coworker is right, scanning *should* work via scanner redirection provided there are compatible WIA or TWAIN drivers.  You should see the redirected device in the scanning app in your session system tray.  With scanner redirection the application only sees the generic device  " VMware Virtual WIA Scanner imaging device"   It might also say TWAIN if that's your driver type.  When in doubt, verify with another application.  If there is a TWAIN driver install that use TWACKER to verify driver compliance on the endpoint.  e.g if twacker doesn't work on the endpoint 100% it won't work in the session either.  

0 Kudos