VMware Horizon Community
StuartCRyan
Contributor
Contributor

Scaling issues with VMWare Horizon on Mac (Blurry Text)

Howdy all,

Facing a very odd problem with Macs, 4K screens and the Horizon Client (either 5.4.3 or 2006, I have tried both).The problem I am facing seems to be with Mac clients and scaling. As I run 4K monitors, I have the scaling on Mac set to emulate 'Looks like 3008 x 1692'. However, when there is any scaling in place on the Mac (other than Native Resolution of 3840 x 2160 I get blurry text on the screen.

Example Below:

scaling issue.jpg
In Microsoft RDP, the text is crisp and clear, in Horizon PCOIP and Blast, it is not (nor funnily enough - Horizon RDP). I have tried the latest client 2006 to no avail. I have also deployed the Group Policy for DPI Scaling (again to no avail).

If I remove scaling from the Mac, at native resolution 3840 x 2160, everything is crisp and clear via Horizon and scales perfectly, even if using the Apps. The moment there is any scaling set on the Mac at all (in System Preferences), I get the blocky text as though Horizon is selecting the scaled resolution of 3008 x 1692 (not, the equivalent hi-dpi).

I have followed the guides at https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-Client-for-Mac/5.4/horizon-client-mac-installation/GUID-B8...

and

Using a High-Resolution Mac with Retina Display

However, I get no such option for 'Connection > Resolution > Full Resolution' when connecting to the Desktop via Horizon (running sessions on a Windows 2019 standard server). I have ensured I have selected 'Automatic Resolution' as well (as a condition of getting the 'Connection --> Resolution' menu, again, it does not show up in the Mac Horizon Client.

Has anyone experienced this, or know what might be the cause? I have run into little speed humps here and there, all of which I have been able to overcome (and enjoyed, hey, tis a learning process after all) but this one has me more than a little stumped and pulling my hair out.

Thank you all!

Stuart

0 Kudos
6 Replies
StuartCRyan
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to mention, I have since found in 2006 a possibly related bug. If you have two monitors plugged in, despite selecting single monitor, you will never get the referenced 'Connection --> Resolution' menu.

If you unplug your second monitor, it will show up, however, even with that I was still unable to get proper scaling working, still looked blocky.

#soFrustrating #hopingSomeoneCanHelp

0 Kudos
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi StuartCRyan,

Currently 'Connection --> Resolution' menu only exists when single monitor is selected. We'll improve it to support multi monitor case in the coming release.

And in current released version, high resolution only works in single monitor with retina display.

> I have the scaling on Mac set to emulate 'Looks like 3008 x 1692

How did you set this scaling?

Have you tried to restart Agent after you connected to it?

Please help to provide the steps of this issue and we'll try to reproduce and see what happend.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
StuartCRyan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @YunYiQun,

So sorry for the delay in reply, I for some reason did not get notified of your message.

I have set scaling on my Mac in the standard display settings

StuartCRyan_0-1610327026476.png

I have narrowed things down a little (also now using the latest 2012 client). When I set the client Mac to use Default resolution for display, client applications work correctly.

However, when I have a scaled display in the Mac Display settings, (as above), it (?looks like?) it reports the wrong resolution and scaling to the Windows server, so displays incorrectly.

From what I can tell (arbitrarily) it looks like VMWare horizon reports the scaled resolution, rather than the monitor resolution with scaling applied which causes all application text to look blocky as per the screenshot I originally shared. 

Cheers,
Stuart

0 Kudos
SriRaj1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I am facing same issue, did you find any solution?

0 Kudos
rcjackson0926
Contributor
Contributor

I am facing this issue as well. Are there any updates on a solution to this? The text is very difficult to read.

0 Kudos
domdsouza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

for some users in our environment, this setting when checked fixed the issue.

0 Kudos