VMware Horizon Community
jchilton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Satellite comms pipe and pcoip zero clients

Team, I'm involved in a small project that requires the Customer to view a Wins 7 remote desktop in a location that can only be reached via a portable satellite system.

I'm experimenting in the lab with  VLC streaming and RDP but not having much joy owing to issues with streaming capture and bandwidth. The WIns 7 VM doesn't really cope with desktop capture even though it has pretty good resource.

The VM  is hosted on a Dell R730 (ESXi v6.0) with a K1 GPU and in a Horizon v6 environment using teradici pcoip zero clients.

Will a zero client running pcoip work over the satellite link?  I've read a few Horizon papers that mention the latency/RTT has to be <150msec so considering the uplink/downlink is probably >1000ms i suspect it might not work but part of me thinks these latencies are desirable and not essential.  I don't need the user to interact with the VM's desktop - just view a desktop that is playing a couple of low resolution VLC video windows.

Any suggestions to help me view this desktop using a product other than VLC or a zero client would be appreciated.

4 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

IF you were going to try this I'd try it in a horizon 7 blast environment, its "supposed to" handle high latency better. I haven't done any tests other than seeing its less bandwith for us then pcoip, and people have used mobile connections with great success. We even have terminals in cars that drive around that work well.

0 Kudos
jchilton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, I can't upgrade the rig at this time. I also suspect that 4G bandwidth is pretty superior compared to a satellite link.

But thanks for the advise anyway.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would not try this with Horizon 6. Blast with the latest version of Horizon 7 will be your best bet as they've made a lot of improvements for low bandwidth/high latency connections.

Be aware that Horizon View 6.x goes end of support in less than 5 months on 2019/06/19.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/support/product-lifecycle-matrix.p...

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I do have someone from india connecting to our data center in the US and I see latency spikes i the connection over 1000ms in blast and he's never complained.