VMware Horizon Community
scnguye2
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung NC240 USB Re-direction with VMware View

Hello all. I recently purchased the Samsung NC240 Monitor/PCoIP Thin-Client. It has several USB ports, but when I insert a USB flash drive into one and connect to my virtual desktop via the View Connection Manager, using PCoIP protocol, the USB drive does not show up on my virtual desktop. I have called Samsung Tech Support, but they are not familiar with VMware View at all and cannot address my issue.

I verified that USB re-direction worked on my virtual desktop by using the View Client with USB re-direction enabled. Using the View Client, I can mount the USB drive via PCoIP or RDP session. On my virtual desktop, I have a GPO to disable local drive mapping, but that is so that if I access my virtual desktop from a PC client, the local C: and 😧 will not show up in My Computer.

I am hoping someone has an NC240 and can test the USB re-direction with VMware View and let me know.

On a side note, other than the USB re-direction issue, this particular model of NC240 that I was able to purchase did not come with internal speakers. Unfortunately the box and manual did not specify whether or not it had speakers. Not that I am fan of internal speakers, but it would be nice to have, since this product is market as an all-in-one solution. Overall, I am pleased with its performance and ease of use/administration. Hopefully Samsung will produce more of these because stock is limited.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TSher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, Not sure if it is any use but I have the NC190 and USB pens work fine when inserted. The VM XP does the normal routine when a USBpen is inserted and it is available in less than 10 seconds.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
SWCS833
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have an NC240 and I am not having any problems with the USB Redirection. Access the device using a browser and make sure USB is enabled. I don't remember if View GPs have settings for USB, but check that also if you are using the View specific GPs on the VMs.

There is no internal speaker for the NC240, though you can control the sound through the monitor for the speakers that are connected.

PCoIPinsider
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, the flash drive should register -

Check that the USB device is not blocked for authorization... although

this should not occur by default. Log into the NC240 via the browser

interface and check the USB authorization status (under the

"Permissions" menu). The table of unauthorized devices should be empty.

Ian

scnguye2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone for your feedback/advice. I logged in to the NC240 via the web management interface and checked the USB permission. And yes, by default it is set to allow any device. I also checked the "Attached Device" tab and saw that NC240 did recognized the USB flash drive that I plugged in.

So I logged off my current PCoIP session, plugged in the USB flash drive, then logged in again, and this time the drive showed up. Now when I switched from PCoIP to RDP, the USB drive would not show up. I believe this is because I have a an OU where I put all of my virtual desktop in, and it has a GPO that disable "Allow local drive mapping". I will eventually setup another VM without applying the OU GPO to see if my USB drive will show up in an RDP session.

I guess the "Allow local drive mapping" setting does not apply if you are using PCoIP, since it is intended for Terminal Server. I could be wrong...

0 Kudos
ChrisBCarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They come with speakers.. i just ordered some.. i will verify and let you know how they are. but according to the samsung website .. scroll to bottom

they call it the samsung nc240m

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/detail/productPreviewRead.do?model_cd=LF24PPBCB/ZA&group=office&t...

and CDW

http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/SAMSUNG-NC240M-23.6in-VGA-SPK/2334249.aspx

0 Kudos