VMware Horizon Community
alienjoker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same Parent VM - different pool with adjusted compute allocation - is this possible?

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to create multiple pools, all referencing the same Parent VM, but automatically adjusting the compute resource of the VMs within the target Pool as part of the compose/recompose process (on the assumption that any compute change wouldn't be drastic enough to invoke a HAL change or prompt to restart the OS)?

For example, to keep master images down to one to reduce administrative overhead for patching etc, is there any way to specify the following three pools to all use Parent VM X but with slight variations to CPU/RAM:

Pool (Small) - 2GB RAM, 1vCPU

Pool (Medium) - 4GB RAM, 2vCPU

Pool (Large) - 8GB RAM, 4vCPU

I realise you could quite easily patch Parent VM X and clone it to Y and Z and adjust the specification of X, Y and Z as the new Parent VMs to meet the compute requirements of the pools, but this seems just another unnecessary administrative overhead as would need to be done at each patch cycle. I was considering leveraging the post-synchronization script as a task that shuts down the VM, sends the VM name as a variable to a PowerCLI command, adjusts the compute as dictated by the script called by the pool and subsequently powers it back on?

Has anyone done anything similar, or is there a feature in the product I've simply overlooked.

(VMware Horizon View 5.3.4)

Thanks

0 Kudos
0 Replies