VMware Horizon Community
PauloVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Safe to delete Parent VMs?

I have several linked VM pools (all persistent VMs) and all them have different parents.

All parents carry the same software load, same patch levels and same O/S.

Will all linked clones work fine if i delete all the parents?

If theres a need to recompose i can point to a completely parent VM, recompose and will all the Linked VMs come back fine?

I ask this because i have the impression, once i assign a Parent to a pool, View Admin will create a replica based on the snapshot and all the vms from the pool are direct clones from this replica VM.

As long as this replica is around, the link VM pool will be just fine, even if i delete the Parent.

Is this correct?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, you have correctly understood the concept and the different componets of a linked clone pool.

Be careful to delete the parents though, make sure you have a good and tested backup of them first in case you need it again.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, you have correctly understood the concept and the different componets of a linked clone pool.

Be careful to delete the parents though, make sure you have a good and tested backup of them first in case you need it again.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
PauloVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks~!

0 Kudos