VMware Horizon Community
rooster147
Contributor
Contributor

SVGA setup with View 5.3 and AMD FirePro S9000

Has anybody did this? I cant seem to find this card as supported with SVGA so I was just wondering. I was able to load the driver and everything according to the guide installed fine but when I start the XORG server it stays running for 5 seconds then stops. I don't see anything in the XORG log and i wasn't sure what to do in the Kernel log. Anybody else do this yet?

13 Replies
elgwhoppo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've done it with Grid cards, but not AMD cards. Here's the KB with the supported graphics cards, the S9000 is on there.

VMware KB: Hardware and software requirements for running AMD and NVIDIA GPUs in vSphere 5.5

What version of vSphere are you running? 5.5 is a requirement from my understanding. The xorg service also needs a host reboot to start properly after driver install.

VCDX-Desktop
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I have done this and had no issues, as the previous posted mentioned 5.5U1 is required.

One thing to check is that the console needs to be on a separate GPU then the one used for vSGA.

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
rooster147
Contributor
Contributor

Yes recently upgraded to ESX 5.5 IU1 so that has been done. I have rebooted the host many times and the service won't stay started. The conole needs to be a separate GPU you mean in the bios setting the primary and secondary? I would think that I should see something in the xorg log to help figure this out but there isn't anything in that log.

0 Kudos
elgwhoppo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does ESXi see the card? What is your output when you run:

lspci | grep -i display

You should see the card listed along with any on-board graphics cards.

Capture.JPG

Linjo is right, it should be a BIOS config. Ran into that before.

VCDX-Desktop
0 Kudos
rooster147
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what I get. Going through the install I didnt encounter any errors. The command displays this. When i look at the status of the vib file it is accepted.pic2.PNG

pic1.PNG

0 Kudos
elgwhoppo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I just downloaded and installed this module AMD FirePro™ Unified Driver

Sooo question...is this card only supported in an R720? The driver page would lead me to believe that. Might want to call AMD to verify, especially since the below link (updated TODAY) says "For vSGA compatibility, please refer to the partner support page to ensure your server is compatible with your vSGA certified graphics card."

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/pdf/vi_vsga_guide.pdf

Capture.JPG

BTW the module is actually called fglrx, not pciPassthru. I can start the xorg service on my 5.5 U1 box, but the service fails to keep running because I don't have the card, which is expected.

Capture2.png

VCDX-Desktop
0 Kudos
rooster147
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the delay in gettting back to you.

When the xorg services stops shouldn't log that somewhere? I don't ever see anything in any logs.

I found this in the vmkernel.log, It appears that after rebooting the host the driver loads but subsequent attempts i get that the driver is busy.

vernel.PNG

I did look in the BIOS and the only option for GPU's is to enable or disable the onboard gpu, there isn't a setting for primary vs secondary. How can I tell if the host is using the wrong GPU?

0 Kudos
elgwhoppo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hook a monitor up to the on-board graphics card. Make sure the DCUI shows up.

VCDX-Desktop
0 Kudos
rooster147
Contributor
Contributor

Well the KVM for the server is VGA and there aren't any inputs into the ATI card upon boot the DCUI does in fact display. What log would capture some info on why this service starts and stops? I would of imagined the XORG log but i don't see anything there, and I checked the vmkernel and the vmkwarning but don't see anything for this.

0 Kudos
elgwhoppo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Unfortunately I've noticed the same, there's not a ton of logs around the xorg service stopping after it's been started.

Previous experience for me stays it's an ESXi/Driver/Card issue, where if ESXi does not find a suitable card the service will stop. <sarcasm>I know that narrows it down a whole lot</sarcasm>.

I really do think the next step is working with AMD and VMware to ensure your server platform, drivers and ESXi versions are at levels and brands which produce a supported configuration. As I previously posted above, from AMD's website it would appear that this card is only supported in an R720.

VCDX-Desktop
0 Kudos
rooster147
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I guess I will open an SR with vmware. I guess I never answered your question but this is in fact an R720 server.

0 Kudos
VDPCTO
Contributor
Contributor

Rooster

Did you ever get a fix for this? I'm having the same problem opened call with VMware but have not made any progress they just keep getting the same logs I have asked them to escalate but still have not got a fix?

0 Kudos
rooster147
Contributor
Contributor

It turns out that i had mistakent set it up as DVGA versus SVGA. Once I changed that I was able to get everthing working.

0 Kudos