VMware Horizon Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SSL VPN with PCoIP

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of or has users connecting via remote access through an SSL VPN (clientless) using PCoIP?  I know SSL VPN  using a full tunnel with a client will allow you to connect using PCoIP, but what about a clientless SSL VPN solution ? Juniper only allows you to connect to the virtual desktop via RDP.  I believe Cisco ASA is the same way.

Is this just not possible, or am I not looking at the right vendors?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
7 Replies
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not sure I understand clearly your queries.

But, I'm using juniper SSL VPN + PCoIP on my daily work with no issue.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you using a VPN client with Juniper?

My query was regarding utilizing an SSL VPN without using a vpn client, basically, you visit a portal page, login, and then you can launch your desktop from there. I'm currently using Juniper SSL VPN, and I can only connect via RDP. However, with the secure pulse client, I can use PCoIP because it's a full tunnel

0 Kudos
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Oops, sorry.

Yes, I use secure pulse client.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No worries. Yeah secure pulse works fine. I'm looking for a solution for non domain joined computers. I'd prefer not to have external users installing a client on their personal machines. Plus with clientless version, there's a host checker to make sure user has up-to-date AV installed

0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Having Access point and using Blast can more or less solve your problem. I have worked on similar requirements few weeks ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@vcpguy, that would be ideal, but not allowed in our environment. I'm still pushing for it. All external connections must come through a VPN. Or are you saying use the SSL VPN connection to connect via Blast? I know the latest Pulse Secure does support this.  How's the performance of Blast in 6.2 compared to PCoIP though?

Also, I'm using K2 cards for some users, which only PCoIP is supported, so those users can't connect remotely today.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Using a modern display protocol through an SSL VPN can lead to performance degradation. The benefits of UDP are eroded if forced through a TCP based SSL connection. There are some comments on this here - Technical Introduction to Access Point for Secure Remote Access - VMware End-User Computing Blog - V... There is a section half way down comparing this with a general VPN.

If the VPN supports DTLS instead of SSL, the performance can be OK. Access Point and Security Server have native secure PCoIP and Blast handlers and are designed for this use.

If you do go with an SSL VPN, compare the performance.

Mark

0 Kudos