VMware Horizon Community
Aegis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SSL Certificate Recommendation for Connection Servers

Hi All, Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent and relatively cheap SSL certificate that is known to be compatible with VDM 2 connection servers. I know this uses a particular java version, the cheapest i can find so far is $700 which is a little expensive.

Also, does anyone know if there is an admin website for a VDM security server e.g. https://servername/admin ?? I thought there was but i cant access it so im not sure now.

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We used equifax for our security server

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no admin console for the Security servers. Is this certificate for a Security server or for the connection broker? We simply signed our own certificate for our internal connection brokers using microsoft certificate services.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Aegis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok thats great thanks, and yes it is a securtity server. That is interesting, i didnt realise you could sign your own Certificate, any tips on how to do that?? We need two really, one for the two load balanced security servers in the DMZ, and one for the load balanced connection servers in the LAN. I guess it may be wise to have an authorised signatory for the external facing servers though.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah for the external you are defitniley going to want to use one from one of the third party providers. In the internal configuration you can get away with using some type of free certificate signer or setup the Microsoft certificates. You need to make sure your clients trust whatever your using. There is a secition in the documentation that shows how to create the certificate request in VDM, I think it starts on page 58.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vdm21_manual.pdf.

Aegis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cheers, can you recommend any third party certificate providers that are able to use the java based version for VDM??

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We used equifax for our security server

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have used certificates from Thawte Consulting for VDM Brokers twice now. Works as intended through the VMware View Admin guide if you follow the steps. Select 'Java' as the type when going through the certificate purchase process.

0 Kudos