VMware Horizon Community
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SSD disks worth for View?

Dear All,

Our SAN bought 5 years ago has reached soon end of life. We are considering to replace it with a Dell Blade and a Equalogic enclosure. There is a hybrid storage available with SSD and SAS disks,

I'm curious if SSD which has a price tag, is really worth for View in terms of cost/benefit? We are using our View desktops for remote access. Not really for LAN usage. I guess accessing View remotely has many other bottlenecks than the disks.

What do you think, is SSD worth the additional price?. It will be an investment for the next years to come, so we need to have a thoroughly thought.

Thanks,

Edy

Nachricht geändert durch Edy I know there are many other factors to consider, but here we are unsure if SSD is worth the price.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Seb1180
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Edy,

we are also looking at this Equalogic hybrid storage to expend our storage and I would say depending on the number of view machines you have, if you refresh after log off and so on yes it is worth the investment.

I experienced issues like boot storm before going to ssd for our view environment and today with those I can recompose a pool of 100 machines in the middle of the day without impacting users and this is priceless.

Seb

fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your answer,

We are also refresh our desktops after log off. But we only offer View desktops for remote access. It's a tough decision or an easy one if budget is unlimited. Smiley Happy It's just for the same money we could buy more SAS storage.

Thanks,

Edy

0 Kudos
Seb1180
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Indeed it is Smiley Wink

I am not an expert on this matter but I would check eventually if you have any I/O contention and the overall perf of the view env. If the values are acceptable, if you don t have any complains and if you don t expect to grow 150 % and move in house machines to zero client for exemple go for the SAS storage.

We have remote and in house already and my goal is to get rid of all desktops and replace them with zero clients. We don t have unlimited budget neither and it is a bit of total space vs perf.

Keep in mind that having ssd's underneath won't make you view machine fly like crazy once logged in. Of course they might boot resume a bit faster, provisioning and recompose will for sure be faster but if you don t have any perf issue at the moment going for ssd's might even be unnoticed by end users and you might end up with someone asking you why did we go for this ? My View session is not any faster ... (Heard it already). The SSD's lifetime limit thing also won't apply to you I think as you need to write quite a lot on those drive before you have to start thinking of replacing them. I might be totally wrong but I remember a Dell rep talking about an average of 25Gb / per for 5 years.

Hope this helps picking the right decision Smiley Wink

Seb

fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Seb,

This is indeed a helpful answer.

We use personal management, but also redirect some files like the OST file for Outlook. I don't find Outlook is performing well right now. It takes one to two minutes until it is ready to write the first e-mail.We use also linked clones which shares an image. It's a good thing in terms of saving space.

I just think if the personas and the redirect files lies on a SSD disk and also the shared image one might see the difference. If that is not certain then I wouldn't opt for SSD.

Overall I think the new storage even with SAS drives will be speedier anyway. It's also a good opportunity to use the new caching technology of View.

0 Kudos