VMware Horizon Community
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Roaming Profiles --> Persona Management

Working with an environment with (UGH) Roaming Profiles on Server 2008. Some profiles are over 2 gig.. it's awesome. /sarcasm off. Now, I have been using Persona Management (PM) in our lab but need to figure out to consolidate Roaming Profiles and Persona Management. We are starting out with just doing a local PM config on the template.

We are willing to dump roaming profiles all together but there are a few details to be worked out:

#1 - After logging in with Persona Management for the first time on a VM, will it copy over the roaming profile data automatically to the PM share? Or should I override AD roaming settings and just manually copy over their content from profile to PM share?

#2 - If a group of users goes from a PM VDI to a physical desktop throughout the day, how will PM handle that?

#3 - Any other insight would be useful as we are hesitant to mess up any data or profiles.

Thanks so much in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mgw929
Contributor
Contributor

#2- This is supported in View 5.1.  I believe you have to have the View Agent installed on the physical desktop.

TheLittleOne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi dborgill,

#1 The Datas (which you defined in the Policy) will copy automatically to the Persona Data

#2 VMware-personamanagement-x86_64-5.1.1-799444.exe under https://my.vmware.com/de/web/vmware/details?productId=268&downloadGroup=VIEW-511-PREMIERE-DE

#3 http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/view/VMware-View-Persona-Management-Deployment-Guide.pdf

i hope i could help

dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can we just disable roaming profiles altogether and then enable Persona Management?

0 Kudos
TheLittleOne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't see any problem to do so.

Before you enable PM get sure you have disabled Shadow copy services and volume shadow copy and the other stuff which is documentet in the vmware win 7 optimization guide.

And make sure you have an exclusion set for the folder for the AV.

After those it should run like a charm.

0 Kudos
blakebevard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my environment we actually found it beneficial to use roaming profiles in conjunction with persona management, but this was mostly due to issues with users who had large OST files that could not be transferred fast enough using persona management before Outlook would time out waiting for them.

0 Kudos