VMware Horizon Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Roaming Profiles / Folder Redirection

Anyone know of any good blog sites or links to setting up roaming profiles together with folder redirection? I have Mike Laverick's View 4.5 guide which does explain it folder redirection quite well, but I'm just looking for check out how others approach it, as well

I've been debating creating linked-clone pools using dedicated pools with persistant disks since my users will require that IE favorites and mailbox profiles are not lost during refresh/recompose. I was only considering that until I read this GREAT post. This really opened my eyes to problems I would probably have down the road

http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=1716

If you haven't read it, its a great read.

Mike

0 Kudos
5 Replies
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone have experience with using floating pools with roaming profiles/folder redirection? I am running all 2008 R2 servers, so I think my XP clones will have issues when they are switched to Windows 7 clones. Not sure how to make that transition

I have the same issue if I use dedicated pools with persistent disks. The persistent disks that would be attached to the XP clones will not work with the Windows 7 clones.

I'm wondering how everyone else is managing profile data when using  linked clones

thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

We utilize the romaing profiles and folder redirection with our XP machines.   We haven't quite made the move to Windows 7 but it's definitley on the horizion.  

As far as sites to check out http://www.brianmadden.com/ might have some good information to help out.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the reply....so you use roaming profiles and appsense?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I apologize for not being very clear in that post.  We use appsense which I always refer to as roaming profile.  I get corrected by their support all the time with the proper term "user personalization".    We do however use folder redirection in our XP environment plan on doing the same with Windows 7 though not sure if anything is involved in that transition.

So sorry for being a bit misleading there.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

that sure does explain it haha...no worries.

appreciate the reply. 

0 Kudos