VMware Horizon Community
kovals
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Reset virtual machine stuck

I tries to reset all my virtual machines from the View admin interface and all the machines did restart except of one who is in reseting status for few days (95%).

Trying to reset it from the vSphere client isn't possible (all the related commands are greyd out) and from some reason, maybe related to this issue, i can't insert the ESX server this macjine is on to maintainance mode so i will be able to reset it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Try killing the VM:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004340

Sven Huisman

VMware vExpert 2009/2010

Virtualfuture.info

Twitter @svenh

Sven Huisman VMware vExpert 2009-2016 Twitter: @svenh blog: svenhuisman.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Try killing the VM:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004340

Sven Huisman

VMware vExpert 2009/2010

Virtualfuture.info

Twitter @svenh

Sven Huisman VMware vExpert 2009-2016 Twitter: @svenh blog: svenhuisman.com
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you want to cancel the reset job you could reset the management agents on the server hosting the VM. This would timeout the current task of reset on that particular VM.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Joxster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Kill a Virtual Machine that is stuck

-Connect to ESX server with Putty

-Check VM state by typing vmware-cmd //server.vmx start to power on VM

Got this from another post but works a treat....

Threonine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just ran into this issue with a VMware View virtual desktop on ESX 4.0.0. I followed your recommended procedure Joxster and it worked great. Thanks!

0 Kudos
matthewharman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure what version you are running but I had the same problem with a virtual machine in my esx 3.5 cluster today! 😞  I found this post earlier and tried to put its contents Into practice, but it did not seem to work, with our setup over nfs to a Netapp filer.  I did eventually manage to restart my vm, and have documented all the stages I performed on my blog I hope this helps anyone else who experiences the same problem!  Regards  Matthew

0 Kudos