VMware Horizon Community
chuckchessor
Contributor
Contributor

Repurposed Desktops and multiple monitor

I have been looking for an OS solution to repurpose our Dell Optiplex 960s to connec to our View environment.

The problem I have been having is multi monitor support because 100% of my users have 2 or 3 monitors.

1. VDI blaster from Dell doesn't support multi monitor yet. Next version is supposed to fix this but no release date.

2. Windows 7 Embedded or thinpc says it supports it, but dell or ati haven't provided the drivers. 

3. Ununtu or SUSE seems like they might work but I have little experience supporting this OS, so it would take me some time to get comfortable supporting this type of solution. And I still think there would be a lot of management going forward.

4. The other option at this point would be to lock down XP or Win 7 using group policy and other tools. But that still leaves me with an OS to patch and manage going forward.

Anyone have similar issues or come across a solution?

Thanks in advance for your response.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is a common issue with repurposed PCs, particularly if you are considering other operating systems like Linux etc.

Windows-based repurpose PC solution vendors like ThinLaunch generally point to this issue as a reason why companies should just reuse the version of Windows that is already on the PCs (that are being repurposed): the drivers work and you have already configured the underlying operating system to use the attached hardware.

Yes, you still need to maintain/patch the Windows that's on the repurposed PC, but this will be less critical once you have locked down the environment and allow user to only access the View client.

0 Kudos