VMware Horizon Community
rpmello
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Replication Errors post 3.1 upgrade

I've experienced a issues with desktop pools not deploying desktops after upgrading from 3.0.1 to 3.1 and I think this may be related. It seems to me like a bug or that VDI is not properly contacting our directory service.

On Event Viewer on our View Connection server we see the following errors beginning 6/6 (day of the upgrade):

Source ADAM[VMwareVDMDS]

EventID 1863

This is the replication status for the following directory partition on this directory server.

Directory partition:

DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int

And another similar error with the message:

This is the replication status for the following directory partition on this directory server.

Directory partition:

CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,CN={2BC7E3D9-E7C2-429F-B0BB-070B8F06DE9C}

Why is the server trying to contact a vdi.vmware.int domain? That doesn't exist anywhere in our infrastructure and seems more like a leftover from VMWare's development. Anyone experience issues with this as well?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

>>Why is the server trying to contact a vdi.vmware.int domain?

Nothing is trying to connect to a domain called vdi.vmware.int. This is just the LDAP root suffix for the LDAP repository (ADAM instance) containing the View configuration. It is dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int and is not a domain.

Mark.

0 Kudos
robmaude
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting similar replication issues too since upgrading to 3.1. Also, after removing a replica server from our setup there are still View clients and agents referencing it and it is still being replicated in ADAM despite no longer existing on the network, in DNS etc.

Additionally, while users can connect and will be allocated a desktop, the fact that their session is active and a desktop source is in use doesn't get reflected in the view connection server admin console. The only way I can see users connected is via vCenter and checking consoles.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

After removing a replica View Connection Server from your setup, run the command "vdmadmin -S -r -s servername" on one of the remaining Connection Servers (where servername is the computer name of the replica that no longer exists). This will remove references to it and will stop replication attempts to that server. Run vdmadmin.exe without parameters to see all the help for that command.

Mark.

0 Kudos
robmaude
Contributor
Contributor

Tried that already - but looking in the client logs it's the view agent that keeps trying to look for the view connection server that was removed. I assumed it was learning about that particular hostname from the view connection server (ie. from an entry in ADAM) but maybe not...

0 Kudos