VMware Horizon Community
rshahoud
Contributor
Contributor

Repeating keys issue after installing Horizon Client Version 2111 for MacOS

After the automatic upgrade to Version 2111 of the Horizon Client for MacOS, I was getting repeating keys with each keystroke while logged into my Windows 10 Enterprise desktop.  Downgrading to Version 2106.1 fixed the problem.

80 Replies
Alberte1
Contributor
Contributor

Any positive results from the new build?

0 Kudos
Craig_00
Contributor
Contributor

Hi YunYiQun

Issue appears to be resolved for me with the Windows sandbox version provided. Initial testing with two client PCs appears good.
I will leave the sessions open all day to verify, and try a couple of other machines early next week.

Craig.

0 Kudos
swagy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi YunYiQun,

I tested the VMware-Horizon-Client-2111.1-8.4.1-53939789.dmg on macOS 12.2.1 and it worked! No accidental key repeats anymore. Looks like we have a winner 😄

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@YunYiQun Do you have an ETA for when we'll see these published as official releases?

0 Kudos
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It will be fixed in the next GA release. Per suggestions, i'll have to mark the links to be invalid to avoid misusage.
0 Kudos
VMHero4Ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why is VMware waiting to publish this new release together with the other horizon components?
I think VMware doesn't know which impact these buggy horizon clients have for your customers and employees. It's a big step backwards to accept VDIs in our company.
It's not possible for us to do an downgrade to an older working horizon clients because lot of the devices are not managed by us.
Also our Thinclient vendor forces us to use the latest horizon client release because they doesn't provide older firmware releases with all security bug fixes of the operation system. The horizon client is bundled in the firmware release.

0 Kudos
Torrey87
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue, does anyone have a link to the older un-affected builds of Horizon or a newer beta version? The links above no longer work....

0 Kudos
Craig_00
Contributor
Contributor

You can get the older versions from VMWare's site

This is the Windows version:
https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/downloads/details?downloadGroup=CART22FQ2_WIN_2106&productId=1...

The version number is in the dropdown box near the top. 2106 is not affected.

In VMWare's infinite wisdom, they have decided not to publicly release the fix yet. 

0 Kudos
jjefferson86
Contributor
Contributor

We had the issue real bad on 2106 as well for linux.  I had to go back to 2103.

0 Kudos
Alberte1
Contributor
Contributor

Updated client released today that addresses the repeating key problem.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-Client-for-Mac/2111.1/rn/vmware-horizon-client-for-mac-211...

VMHero4Ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are also new releases for Windows and Linux and all contains the info that the keystroke issue is resolved.
Would be nice to know what was wrong or since it happened. Let's hope that its really solved and does not happen again!!!

0 Kudos
Alberte1
Contributor
Contributor

Really wish Vmware was more responsive to this issue/thread.  This problem has been going on for at least the last 2 releases of the Horizon client.  We discovered the update yesterday and posted it already.

0 Kudos
jjefferson86
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone had complaints of desktops freezing up for a few seconds throughout the day on build 2111.1? 

0 Kudos
Craig_00
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we are also seeing intermittent freezing on a bunch of versions. We have seen in for sure on 2106 and 2111.1
Strangely it seems to only affect a few people, so we have a range of client versions in play at the moment.

Some people on 2111.1 and have no issues, others got intermittent disconnects and we had to roll them back to 2106 or 2103. Some folks started getting another issue, so we went back further to 2012.

The other issue is a strange display error where the top toolbar of whatever application is on the left monitor goes blank. It's still possible to click functions on the toolbar (if you guess where the mouse is), but the top 1 inch or so of the left monitor never refreshes. Either disconnecting and reconnecting the session, or setting the client to a single display and back to multiple will fix it temporarily.

We've not taken out a ticket with VMware yet - kind of lost patience with them because we really don't have spare time and equipment for testing poor software releases.

0 Kudos
VMHero4Ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all,

just for info there was a new release published last week. Horizon Client 2203.
I got the feedback from my employees that this version works better with mouse then the versions before.

I am not an apple user so I can't confirm it. But I heard that there was something strange behavior with the mouse cursor.
But I also heard that this latest version 2203 crashes after wake up the mac OS from standby. So you have to close and restart the client again. It doesn't happened before.

0 Kudos
MVL2
Contributor
Contributor

Try the below keys or remove the SVGA video card and driver and only use the IDD one. It fixed the freezing issue for us. The SVGA driver is not embedded anymore in the latest Horizon Agents so it is using the one from VMWare tools. All the latest SVGA driver versions from VMWare Tools are giving us the freezing issues. Forcing the VDI to use the IDD card and driver (and i think this will be the new default) fixed it. Try it out.

For PCOIP

HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware SVGA DevTap

Name: ForceViddCapture

Type: Reg_SZ

Value: 1

For Blast

HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware Blast\config

Name: PixelProviderForceViddCapture

Type: Reg_SZ

Value: 1

See also
Moving to Horizon 8 : VMwareHorizon (reddit.com)

Outlook 2016 - O365 freezes VM - but only on the s... - VMware Technology Network VMTN

0 Kudos
jjefferson86
Contributor
Contributor

It was indeed the svga driver causing our freezing issues.  For those wondering why it seems to happen to some but not others, it appears the issue only occurs when an affected app, Outlook being a big one, is on a second monitor.  Users with the affected app, like Outlook, will have no problem if it is on the primary display.

0 Kudos
jjefferson86
Contributor
Contributor

*Deleted... accidental double post*

0 Kudos