VMware Horizon Community
rshahoud
Contributor
Contributor

Repeating keys issue after installing Horizon Client Version 2111 for MacOS

After the automatic upgrade to Version 2111 of the Horizon Client for MacOS, I was getting repeating keys with each keystroke while logged into my Windows 10 Enterprise desktop.  Downgrading to Version 2106.1 fixed the problem.

80 Replies
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you contact to file a bug to VMware?
We need more details including client/agent logs to see what's wrong.

0 Kudos
dokkie0006
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem (in the VM with horizon new version many repeat keyboard letter)

0 Kudos
Craig_00
Contributor
Contributor

Also having the same issue with the 2111 version of the Windows client. Also only fixable by downgrading to 2106.

0 Kudos
swagy
Contributor
Contributor

I also having the same issue which was solved by the downgrade. I also checked all available options/parameters to eliminate the repeating keys, but none of the solutions worked.

0 Kudos
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Swagy,

Which client do you use? macOS or Windows Client?

0 Kudos
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi dokkie006,

Are you seeing this issue on macOS or Windows client?

0 Kudos
ThomasR1
Contributor
Contributor

Experiencing the same issue.

Windows 10 - latest updates.

0 Kudos
swagy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using macOS 12.0.1

0 Kudos
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Swagy,

Are you using the published remote apps or you are typing in a remote desktop?

Do you use any input method? or you were just typing English character?

0 Kudos
Craig_00
Contributor
Contributor

We have now had four employees working remotely 'upgrade' to the 2111 client on their personal computers report this issue.
In all four cases, downgrading to 2106 has fixed the problem.

At this time, we are unaware of anyone successfully using this version with our Horizon platform.

We have issued a company-wide bulletin to postpone any further upgrades until this is reported fixed.

All Windows 10. Mixture of editions (Home, Pro, Enterprise) all affected. Mixture of release versions.
All US English keyboards with no special input hardware.

Our UAG and Connection server and agents are Horizon 7. 

0 Kudos
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the information.

It's hard to reproduce in lab, but we're trying to narrow down the issue.

Can we provide you a sandbox to verify when it's ready?

0 Kudos
AaronSixtus1
Contributor
Contributor

We are also experiencing the same issue with the Windows client, rollback to 2106 has worked around the issue.

0 Kudos
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi all,

Could you help check to see if ti works by adding this line into config.ini?

mks.disableTypematic = "TRUE"

For macOS,  config.ini lies in here: (please create this file, if it doesn't exist.)

“~/Library/Preferences/VMware Horizon View”

For Windows, config.ini is here:

“%appdata%\Roaming\VMware\config.ini”

0 Kudos
Craig_00
Contributor
Contributor

Not going to try that fix.

Your own documentation states:

• This configuration prevents intended key repeat.
  • Cannot input character repeatedly on desktop pool by holding down a key.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/59631

0 Kudos
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Craig,

Yes,that's true.

Unfortunately, we can't reproduce it in lab, though we tried it very hard these days.

Could you give us some information about what keys you have typed before you can see the problem? 

For example, did you type any short cut keys, or modifier keys?

Our developer made a sandbox with some debug information to understand the problem, would you please try it and provide us the client logs using DCT tool and with time stamps? It's better to remove all old logs before you try to avoid unnecessary logs.

The Windows client sandbox link is here:

https://onevmw-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/zzhou_vmware_com/Eb7vE6Iawk5DlVN6JtND_TQBFd6yJe5MuzF...

macOS client sandbox link:

https://onevmw-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/zzhou_vmware_com/Ea2PjoT1PG1NjkksrM6dNnUBmBB2LKD2z-F...

0 Kudos
dejannk
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue on Windows 10. After upgrading to 2111 I cannot enter password because every time I press a key, several characters are entered. Downgrading to previous version resolves the issue.

Adding below line to config.ini has NOT resolved the issue, it actually makes it worse as it causes app to crash. Log attached.

mks.disableTypematic = "TRUE"

Regards

Dejan

0 Kudos
dejannk
Contributor
Contributor

OK, actually the behaviors has changed now. After doing a clean install, I cannot replicate either the crash or typing issues. I am now getting what many in my organization are referring to as "black screen of death" where instead of a VDI log in screen you just see black screens. Seems that a lot of people are getting this issue if they have dual screen.

I'm downgrading to previous version this is not working...

0 Kudos
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Dejan,

Could you please help try the sandbox and send us the logs collected by DCT tool? Please remove old logs before you try.

https://onevmw-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/zzhou_vmware_com/Eb7vE6Iawk5DlVN6JtND_TQBFd6yJe5MuzF...

As for the crash, can you send us the dump:  C:\Users\dejan\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware-dejan\vmware-remotemks.dmp?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As for black screen issue, please file a bug to VMware. We need both client and agent logs.

0 Kudos