VMware Horizon Community
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Renaming VDM server

i need to rename the VDM server computer name. any problems that you can think of i might have with the VDI software?

Stephen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rjb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is a link to a document about exporting and importing the config using CLI.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The only problem I foresee is your clients are pointing the the old name. If you are not passing command line parameters within your clients, just pointing them to the new name as launch should be ok.

Are you running any security servers? If so, you will have to reinstall and point them to their new VDM partner.

0 Kudos
rjb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Make sure you take a snapshot before you do this. We tried renaming the server and the VDM service wouldn't start. Let us know if you get it to work.

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it looks like there is a problem renaming the server

VMware VDM Connection Server can not start. The ADAM configuration entry for this computer (cn=VDMSERVER,ou=server,ou=properties,dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int) can not be read (No Such Object). It is possible that this server computer name has changed since the "VMware VDM Connection Server" software was installed or the entry has been removed from ADAM. From Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs" please remove "VMware VDM Connection Server" and "Adam Instance VMwareVDMDS" and then reinstall "VMware VDM Connection Server"

the one thing that is diffrent from my production env. is the fact that i am running 2.0 and not 2.1

Stephen

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

what i have found it the fact that by uninstalling the "VMware VDM Connection Server" and "Adam Instance VMwareVDMDS" and then reinstall "VMware VDM Connection Server"

you will loose the config. so back to the drawing board. Smiley Sad

Stephen

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are using VDM 2.1 could you not export the config first and then import it back in after the rename and reinstall? Not sure if this would work as it may contain some information that points to the old name of the connection server but it may be worth a try

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

rjb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is a link to a document about exporting and importing the config using CLI.

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

well the export and import worked on my test env. tonight i will try the live one Smiley Happy

and i will be taking a snapshot before Smiley Happy

Stephen

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Glad to hear it worked. Good luck in production

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
rjb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Another option is to install VDM Server on a new VM as a Replica and point it at the original installation.

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well everything went good with the production environment. Now all I have to do is figure out how to remove the old server from the admin page on the VDM administrator.

Stephen

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should be able to use ADSI Edit to remove the entry from the ADAM Database. At this moment that is the only way I know to remove a retired connecton broker from the admin page.

0 Kudos