VMware Horizon Community
Toolbox123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Removing Connection Server

Hi,

So I am running Horizon 7.3.2.  Sorry new to all this, so my terminology will be off.

I attached a new connection server to my Horizon install (it was running 7.3.1).  I then upgraded it to 7.3.2 and in the process I also renamed the server to follow the other servers.  Now when I go into view configuration - servers - connection servers, the old server is still showing up.  How do I remove this old server reference from Horizon??

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KyranBrophy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Toolbox123,

Changing the hostname of a server after the Horizon Connection Server software is installed is not supported, see KB article 2000357.

To be safe, I recommend removing the entry for both the old server name, and the new server from Horizon Admin. This is to prevent any corruption of the ADLDS replication instance.

To remove the Connection Server from Horizon Administrator:

1. Uninstall the Horizon Connection Server software on the server you want to remove

2. Log in to another Connection Server in the same Pod, open an administrative command prompt and run the following command:

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\tools\bin\vdmadmin.exe" -S -r -s server_name

Where server_name is the hostname of the server you want to remove. Please note, you only need to run this command on one Connection Server in the Pod, the other servers will pick up this change through ADLDS replication. Also if the server is paired to a Security Server, you should prepare the Security Server for upgrade before removing the Connection Server.

After you have done this for both servers, you can reinstall the Horizon 7.3.2 Connection Server software, and join it to the existing Pod as usual.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KyranBrophy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Toolbox123,

Changing the hostname of a server after the Horizon Connection Server software is installed is not supported, see KB article 2000357.

To be safe, I recommend removing the entry for both the old server name, and the new server from Horizon Admin. This is to prevent any corruption of the ADLDS replication instance.

To remove the Connection Server from Horizon Administrator:

1. Uninstall the Horizon Connection Server software on the server you want to remove

2. Log in to another Connection Server in the same Pod, open an administrative command prompt and run the following command:

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\tools\bin\vdmadmin.exe" -S -r -s server_name

Where server_name is the hostname of the server you want to remove. Please note, you only need to run this command on one Connection Server in the Pod, the other servers will pick up this change through ADLDS replication. Also if the server is paired to a Security Server, you should prepare the Security Server for upgrade before removing the Connection Server.

After you have done this for both servers, you can reinstall the Horizon 7.3.2 Connection Server software, and join it to the existing Pod as usual.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Toolbox123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!

Now the only thing, the server in question is the standard server (the initial connection server), does this change anything with uninstalling the software?

0 Kudos
KyranBrophy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All the Connection Servers in a replication group (or Pod) are equal, the only reason there is an initial server and Replica servers is for installation, Replica servers join an existing Pod, initial servers start a new Pod.

So thats a long way of saying it won't matter that the server you are removing was the initial server, the other Connection Servers in the Pod have the full ADLDS database and replication config.

0 Kudos