KennyView
Contributor
Contributor

Removal of snapshot kicks vmware view user

Environment:

- VMWare ESX 3.5 Update 207095

- VMWare View 4.6

Backup: Symantec Backup Exec 2010.

Every time the virtual desktops are backupped through Backup Exec, the time Backup Exec remove the snapshot from the running desktop the end users get disconnected.

Anybody has also this behaviour ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I've seen pings get dropped before when committing snapshots and given the point to point nature of VDI it may cause a drop.    What protocol are you using and are these full desktops or clones?   

0 Kudos
KennyView
Contributor
Contributor

PCOIP - linked clones

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Can you do the back ups after hours?    If you don't mind me asking why even backup a linked clone?    

0 Kudos
KennyView
Contributor
Contributor

Backup during night is maybe possible if we don't run out of time, but I was just curious. It's is strange one technology kicks another from the same vendor?

I think this is the most easy way to restore, having a vmware agent installed on the backup exec media server.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Well if there is a small interruption when the commit is done then remote protocols could easilly be interruppted.   Take a couple of test snapshots on your servers and committ them while doing a ping test.    You would probably see the same type of behavior.

In my opinion the linked clones are meant to be disaposible so there really isn't a need to back them up unless you simply want to backup the persistent disk (if using that option).    I'm almost positive you can recreate or refresh a clone in the same amount of speed you could restore one and maybe even faster.    Have you ever tried to restore one to see if it keeps the relationship with the replica and continues to function properly? 

0 Kudos
KennyView
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed I lose one ping enough for losing the pcoip connection.

Ofcourse I didn't try a restore Smiley Wink , it's true I could only backup the persistent disk. But I think I would be able to faster restore a virtual machine (and its easier for people who don't no vmware view). I can always restore it as an individual desktop instead of trying to fix the link with the linked clone.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If you restore as an invidiual desktop you would have to go through the process of adding it as a desktop in View Administrator.   I would restore one and go through all the scenerios and see which works best for you.  Let us know how it goes.  

0 Kudos