VMware Horizon Community
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Remotely Assisting a VDI User

Is this possible?

How would I remotely interact with a user's session that is using a terminal RDP'ed into a VDI farm? I can't use VNC because it complains that somebody is already remotely logged in.

I know I could go to the console through VC, but I would have to log them out, so that would defeat the purpose.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry - I was logged in as myself on my laptop so I was sending the request to a test user logged in to a VM.

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

OK, same here.

After testing this some more, it seems that it eventually will go. The box pops up on the end user's system with a white background for over a minute. Then the prompt comes up for them to hit Yes. If I log into the User's PC with domain admin rights, no problems. ugh

Hmmm, it is not only related to the domain admin accounts. If I log into the PC locally with the administrator account, it works fine too. hmmmmmm

Message was edited by:

tbrouwer

0 Kudos
tadheckaman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just got this working on my system. The trick is a registry tweak to allow this on XP SP2. SP1 works without any registry entries.

I would set a group policy that allows remote control without asking the users permission, to allow easier administration.

Add this registry key on all your XP systems (required only on SP2):

\[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server]

"AllowRemoteRPC"=dword:00000001

Then goto any XP or 2003 system (logged onto the domain as a user that has permission to remote a session) and type this in:

shadow 0 /server: + * (num pad *) to disconnect.

I wrote an AutoIT script to create a simple gui. I am not a programmer, but this worked for me.

#Region

$Form1_1 = GUICreate("Shadow a remote XP session", 424, 60, 193, 115)

$Combo1 = GUICtrlCreateCombo("", 16, 24, 233, 25)

GUICtrlSetData($combo1,"v_user1|v_user2|v_user3|v_user4")

$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Pick a computer you would like to connect to:", 16, 8, 220, 17)

$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Connect", 256, 8, 153, 41, 0)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

#EndRegion

While 1

$nMsg = GUIGetMsg()

Switch $nMsg

Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

Exit

Case $Combo1

Case $Label1

Case $Button1

$combostate = GUICtrlRead ($Combo1, 1)

MsgBox(0, "GUI Event", "Now connecting you to " & $combostate & ", please wait while connecting")

ShellExecute ('shadow', ' 0 /server:' & $combostate & ' /V', "c:\windows\system32\")

EndSwitch

WEnd

tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Wow, Thanks! If I can get this to work it will be beautiful.

Currently throwing some errors but im messing around with group policy trying to get it to work.

0 Kudos