VMware Horizon Community
monocerosrug
Contributor
Contributor

RemoteMKS connection failed Horizon Client 4.10.0 Linux Mint 18.3

I’ve been trying to get a VDI up and running on one of my workstations running Linux Mint 18.3. It’s a bit frustrating because I have one successful installation with this combination, but not on the workstation I want it to be on.

My employer provides a Windows 7 VDI that I use for Outlook mail and Communicator and other Windows-centric things that I need for work. I’ve been using the Horizon clients on my Linux Mint installs for years with no problems. Last year I had Horizon Client 4.8 running on Linux Mint 18.0, which was fine until we started working with another company that had Published Applications that required Horizon Client 4.9. Naturally, this broke the VDI that I needed for work. It would get as far as bringing up the window that would enclose the Windows desktop but then the window disappears silently. The published applications run just fine on my workstation – it’s just the VDI that fails.

I thought that maybe if I upgraded my Mint installation, that might help, so as a test I upgraded my laptop to Mint 18.3, which is based off of Ubuntu 16.04.5. Success! I am able to bring up my work VDI in Horizon Client 4.9.0 in Mint 18.3 on my laptop. So, full of hope I went to my workstation and upgraded to Mint 18.3, installed Horizon Client 4.9.0, selected my VDI and got the same failure I had before.  I’ve since upgraded the Horizon Client on my workstation to 4.10.0, but still no love.

The only difference in the vmware-horizon-client log between my laptop and workstation is that the workstation shows:

2019-01-11 14:50:27.277-05:00: vmware-view 7866| cdk_pcoip_desktop_present_changed: rmks present is FALSE.

2019-01-11 14:50:27.277-05:00: vmware-view 7866| cdk_pcoip_desktop_state_changed: RemoteMKS connection failed.

The log in the laptop shows:

2019-01-11 10:17:16.111-05:00: vmware-view 2931| cdk_pcoip_desktop_should_fit_again: Screen width 3200, height 1800, mks width 2400 height 1350.

2019-01-11 10:17:16.111-05:00: vmware-view 2931| cdk_pcoip_desktop_MKS_size_changed: new MKS size is (2400 x 1350).

2019-01-11 10:17:16.111-05:00: vmware-view 2931| cdk_pcoip_desktop_MKS_size_changed: Screen change done, so update workarea.

2019-01-11 10:17:16.111-05:00: vmware-view 2931| cdk_pcoip_desktop_update_workarea :Not in Unity mode, so not sending work area sync request.

My laptop has Intel-based CPU and GPU, while my workstation has AMD-based CPU and GPU. That’s the only thing I can think that is causing the issue. I have a HiDPI display on my laptop and it’s a pain to use Windows on there because I have to use the accessibility features of Mint to magnify the Windows desktop so I can read things. I want to get Windows back on my Workstation, but I don’t know if there’s a way.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
larstr
Champion
Champion

monocerosrug,

I don't know what the problem on your workstation could be, but with the Horizon 4.9 client it is possible to enable display scaling to be able to see the text on your 4k laptop again:

• High resolution display scaling
    Display scaling is supported at higher DPI in remote desktops and is applicable when the Linux client is set to be "System DPI-aware" and the scaling level is greater than 100%.

VMware Horizon Client 4.9 for Linux Release Notes

Lars

0 Kudos
monocerosrug
Contributor
Contributor

Hi larstr -

The display scaling is set by default, but it is still unreadable without assistive tools (to my middle-aged eyes, anyway). Nevertheless, I've been able to get both the Windows VDIs and the Published Apps working in Client 4.8 on workstation and 4.9 on my laptop, which is good enough for now. I keep trying test installs  of new versions Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distros to see if I can get the Windows VDI to come up but no luck so far, so I'll be tied to Mint 18.3 for a while yet.

Thanks for your help -

Rob

0 Kudos