VMware Horizon Community
praviview
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Register DNS for instant clone Machines ipconfig /registerdns

Hello Team,

I need to do a ipconfig /registerdns on my instant clone machines with the help of DEM. when I tried that DEM need a exe to execute it with elevated permissions, any points to achieve this.

Praveen C
L3admins.com
0 Kudos
3 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Whats the purpose of this, instant clones are joined by active directory, which takes care of dns.

0 Kudos
praviview
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@sjesse  thanks for you response and you are correct its active directory joined in Instant clone machine, we have an internal DNS issue ,When we do an NSlookup via IP we get a good return.  However when we do a ping by machine name it returns no record.

Till we get a permeant fix from the internal team, I found this is a band-aid fix to do  ipconfig /registerdns to resolve my current issue and get rid of DNS issue showing by our ControlUP monitoring tool.

Praveen- 

Praveen C
L3admins.com
0 Kudos
BenTrojahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

to force a DNS registration refresh at boot, use a Post-Synchronization Script in the guest customization tab:

ipconfig /registerdns

shutdown -t 05 -r

in the end you are at the mercy of DNS replication for the new machines which is why we end up using a dedicated AD site

You could make sure your instant clones primary DNS is preferably a DC in the same AD site that your connection servers are located in.  You can also set which DC (s) to use for instant clone provisioning in ADM.  it sounds like your DNS clients is doing the registration and creation of the DNS record, if so, make sure the new machine accounts have full control over the DNS records and likely enable "Reuse of Existing Computer Accounts".  If the client do not have ownership of their DNS record ipconfig /registerdns will generate errors and you will have stale/wrong DNS records and the many other issues that bad DNS resolution causes.

0 Kudos