VMware Horizon Community
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Refresh vs. Recompose

I'm a little confused on the difference here.  If I patch the base OS snapshot that my view desktops are using, doesn't a refresh update everything just like a recompose?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

According to the View Documentation:
"A desktop refresh operation restores the operating system disk of each linked clone to its original state and size, reducing storage costs."

"You can update linked-clone desktops by creating a new base image on the parent virtual machine and using the recompose feature to distribute the updated image to the linked clones."
So, in your case, you have to make a recompose.
Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,
If you apply patches on a Parent Image, you have to make a new Snapshot and make a recompose of the Desktop Pool.
If you want to set one Desktop or Desktop Pool to the initial state, you have to make a refresh.
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

According to the View Documentation:
"A desktop refresh operation restores the operating system disk of each linked clone to its original state and size, reducing storage costs."

"You can update linked-clone desktops by creating a new base image on the parent virtual machine and using the recompose feature to distribute the updated image to the linked clones."
So, in your case, you have to make a recompose.
0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks! 

0 Kudos