Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Recomposing vDesk without C:\ dataloss

Hello All!!

Considering the following scenario:

1 parent image

20 virtual desktops using linkedclone

20 users with dedicated virtual desktops

All of them uses an application that save some files at C:\.  This applicantion is updated each 30 days. So, each 30 days we need to update partend image and recompose all desktops.

But, the files that application saves at C:\ are really important.

There is a way to recompose virtual desktops and keep these files?

Thanks.

Best,

Eduardo.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You can write some kind of script to pull out the information and replace it after the recompose.

Maybe look at using persistent disk and trying to have the application save to the persistent drive as they is not modified during recompose operations.

Use thinapp for the application?  

0 Kudos
tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Acctually I´m not using thinapp. (yet Smiley Wink )

I tried force application save file to different location, but no way. Only location to save files is C:\.

I tought Persona Management + Persistend Disk could help, but I dont think so...

Maybe using 3rd party solution, as CA Client Automation...

Best,

Eduardo.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Did you check the View persona GPO to see if you could specify the path where the application information is stored? 

0 Kudos
bscoggins4
Contributor
Contributor

If the application writes a to a specific folder and not just the root of C you should try using a Junction.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

Junctions can be used to redirect folders to a seperate data disk.