VMware Horizon Community
JoshuaMcCann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Recomposing desktops wipes out user setting when using persistent disks

I'm in the testing phase of VMWare View and I have created my View Administrator server and a composer server. I've been able to create desktops with the composer. I assign a user to the desktop and the user can login via the View Client. When the user logs in they get a C: drive (Local Disk), 😧 drive (PersistentDataDisk) and an E: drive (SystemDisposableDisk). The user can create shortcuts and setup their Lotus Notes profiles and everything works great. The user can log off and log back in and all setting stay. If I recompose the desktop by modifying the original snapshot used to create the desktop and push it to the composed desktop it wipes out all the user settings.

I want to know if this is normal behavior or if the users settings should be "replicating" to the PersistentDataDisk and reloaded when the user logs in again. I want to be able to have the users customize their desk tops and such to their liking but have the ability to add software changes via the recompose feature.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Josh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A  View composer persistent disk should not be affected by a recompose or a refresh operation.    Have you verified that the profile is sucesfully being created on the D:\ drive?    I remember issues in the past if the user had logged into the parent image then the profile stayed on the C:\ drive instead of moving over to D:\. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A  View composer persistent disk should not be affected by a recompose or a refresh operation.    Have you verified that the profile is sucesfully being created on the D:\ drive?    I remember issues in the past if the user had logged into the parent image then the profile stayed on the C:\ drive instead of moving over to D:\. 

0 Kudos
JoshuaMcCann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mittim12,

That was exactly my issue. I setup the parent image box as myself and my test user so when I logged into the linked desktop my profile existed and stayed on the C: drive. I have removed my profile and my test profile off the parent image and recomposed the linked desktops and my profile showed on the 😧 drive then. I recomposed again and everything remained on the 😧 drive and was unaffected. Thank you!

Josh

0 Kudos