VMware Horizon Community
jayflora85
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Recomposing a list of linked clone VM's within a pool using View Connection Server

Hi All,

I am using View 4.6 with ESXi 4.1, Composer is 2.6. Yesterday I recomposed 8 pools of mine to the snapshot of the updated golden image.

I have 140 VM's in each pool. I checked now and around 125-130 of the VM's in every pool have been recomposed to the new image, but 10-15 VM's in each pool have not recomposed. They are currently shut down. If I manually turn them on, they have the old image.

Now I want to select just thos 10-15 VM's in each pool and recompose them. The only options I can see is to either recompose the whole pool again or recompose each VM one by one. I dont want to recompose the whole pool again and recomposing each VM indivudually will take a LONG LONG time.

When I go to the desktops view in the View Administrator and select the un-recomposed VM's, I dont see the option to recompose.

Can anyone please help.

There were errors but I was unable to see them as all I could see were grey blocks but nothing written on them. It looked as if the error windows were hung by themselves.

Thanks,

-Jay

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can definitely select multiple desktops for a recompose.  If your under the inventory screen of the pool just highlight multiple desktops and select recompose.  You can even select the View Composer details view to sort by which image is currently loaded.

If your having problems doing that for whatever reason you could look into deleting the desktops provided they are in a floating pool which would simply just allow View to recreate them based on the default image assigned to the pool. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your post has been moved to the VMware View (with View Manager) forum - http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/desktop/view.

0 Kudos
jayflora85
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Dave.

0 Kudos
Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can either do the whole pool, or one vDesktop at a time. I don't think you can select a number of vDesktops within the pool.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can definitely select multiple desktops for a recompose.  If your under the inventory screen of the pool just highlight multiple desktops and select recompose.  You can even select the View Composer details view to sort by which image is currently loaded.

If your having problems doing that for whatever reason you could look into deleting the desktops provided they are in a floating pool which would simply just allow View to recreate them based on the default image assigned to the pool. 

0 Kudos
jayflora85
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank You SO much mittim12. You deserve to be a Champion. I just went into the Inventory screen of the pool and am able to select the desktops and recompose.

Also I am HIGHLY impressed by this community. I ran into this problem yesterday and just created a login to ask the question. I have run into many VMware related problems before and have waited for days to try to figure out the issue, sometimes contacting Vmware engineers through our Alliances team. I never knew this community is so much open to everyone. You are doing a great job guys.

0 Kudos