VMware Horizon Community
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Recomposing Win10 1709 with Horizon 7.4, stuck at customizing

Hello:

We recently started looking at Windows 10 1709 since Horizon 7.4 has support for it (and other versions as well).   However, when recomposing any pool, it gets stuck on the "customizing" step for the desktops in the pool.  We are using a customization specification (sysprep) because we prefer this method over quickprep.  This has worked fine with Windows 10 1607.  When I check, the desktops are stuck at the Windows logon screen and will sit there indefinitely.  In the events log, it shows entries like this:

Provisioning error occurred for Machine win101709002: Customization operation timed out

Automatic error recovery for Pool win101709: attempting to restart Machine win101709002

Are there still problems with 1709?  Anybody been able to get it to work?  We are pretty plain here with our setup, nothing really special going on but just can't seem to get this working.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Poom22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not supported as far as I Know, i had the same as you and rolled back

0 Kudos
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

According to this KB, 1709 is officially supported: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2149393 

However like we've seen, there seems to be an issue with sysprep.

npeter
Expert
Expert

Hi can you confirm if you have upgraded view composer to Horizon 7.4 build when you hit this issue? If possible attach view log bundle from desktop machine when it fails to recompose.

Follow https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2030311 to disable automated recovery if needed.

-nObLe
0 Kudos
klawda
Contributor
Contributor

I was having the same problem with 1709, this is the registry setting I had to change on the base machine to get mine to finish customizing

Windows 10: Fall Creators Build 1709 Experiences

0 Kudos
ranand_2000
Contributor
Contributor

Which Registry setting did you change to make this work

0 Kudos
serinfbco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looking up the link:

Worked for me as well.  I also had to remove the Security Subkey for the BFE Service.

Running Vmware View 6.2.2.

Steps:

- In Regedit, in the key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE

- Removed the entry vmware-viewcomposer-ga from the value: DependOnService

- Deleted Subkey:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE\Security

- Restarted VM.

- Verified Services.

- Snapshot

- Recompose pool to new Snapshot.

- It worked.

We used Windows 1709 and Agent 7.4 + quickprep, never had a this problem

Other options would be Windows Store Apps.

When doing corporate images for local computers, sysprep always failed, had to remove these apps when doing the sysprep / audit.

0 Kudos