VMware Horizon Community
Mathm
Contributor
Contributor

Recomposing VM or pool : Refit operation resync failed

Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time trying to recompose either an entire pool or a VM in the View Administrator.

The error I'm encountring is : "Provisioning error occurred for Machine xxxxxx : Refit operation resync failed", then the VM stops and i have to power it again via vSphere.

I tried to follow the VMware KB:     Recomposing VMware View pool fails with error: Provisioning error occurred for Machin..., but no luck. My VC_CONFIG_ID is good in my SQL databse, and no change were recently made to my pools.

I've tried to recompose from an old snapshot which used to work : same error.

I've also tried to refresh then recompose, or reboot my View Composer server... same problem.

Please find attached the composer logs for this operation, featuring a FATAL error. I dit not find anything on this error yet...

Thank you in advance for your help.

9 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

What happens if you simply remove a machine and allow it to be recreated?

0 Kudos
Mathm
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I removed the VM, it was provisionned again up-front, and then I tried to recompose it. Unfortunately it did not work, the error is the same.

Any idea ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Mathm
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Actually, forget what I said, I must have made a mistake yesturday, in fact I can specify my new snapshot as the default image, then delete my VM and allow it to be recreated. This works like a charm.

Only problem is : this manipulation loses the attribution of a user to a specific VM name, which may cause problems on my network (not sure of that).

I won't take any chance, and for the moment, I have to manually assign each user to his correct old VM name after deleting and recreating them. Is there a way I don't think of to avoid this problem ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did this ever get solved, I am experiencing the same thing. When I recompose it does a few desktops fine and then throws this error. If I remove a desktop it will re-create it fine

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I was getting the same error, solved it by going from static to ephemeral binding for view desktops:

Configuring vNetwork Distributed Switch for VMware View » myvirtualcloud.net

0 Kudos
MiroVM
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i had the same problem. The root cause was simple in my case - the snapshot i used had a mounted ISO File - that was causing the problem. It was enough to delete the snapshot and create a new one without anything mapped with the parent image

Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Erorr in the Composer logs

2013-06-26 08:46:06,252 | 3             | FATAL | Sim.ServiceCore.SimServiceApiImpl - Error: fail to execute web service call: ResyncSviClones

VMware.Sim.CommonLib.Exception.SimVcSubsystemException: Error in the application.

at VMware.Sim.CommonLib.VcSubsystem.VcSubsystem25.GetVmMoId(String biosUuid)

It is an issue with Bios UUId in the Vmx file is different than in Composer Database. Please file a Support Request and we need to change that Manually from the database

Anytime you had an issue with I moved it Copied and if  you  chose I copied it would change the Uuid  anytime in the future make sure to chose I moved it.

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This was a known issue in View 7.4 7400497 which has been fixed in View 7.5.1 onwards.

0 Kudos
CraigD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had this error, as well.  The resolution turned out to be that we needed to "normalize" the VMware hardware version on our images.  We use Linked Clone pools on vSphere 6.7 with Horizon 7.12, by the way.

More info:

I don't know exactly how this happened, but some of our images were on HW v13 and others were on HW v14.  Something about applying an image with one HW version to a pool that had the other HW version caused this "Refit operation resync failed" error.

We made a pass through our images and got them all on v14.  Our most recent (weekly) round of image updates and recomposes all went fine.

The problem was identified by looking in the Composer logs.  The VMware technician gave me this excerpt:

2021-03-12 15:27:33,575 | WFE thread 3  | FATAL | ServiceCore.WorkflowEngine.ResyncSingleCloneTask - ResyncSingleCloneTask: new parent vm with moid:  has hardware version: 13 older than resync clone with clone id: 302793d1-f60b-4846-a30c-02ac068b3f85, moid: vm-661323 that has hardware version: 14

2021-03-12 15:27:33,575 | WFE thread 3  | FATAL | ServiceCore.Action.InvokeMethodAction - InvokeMethodAction: fail to execute method:<PrepareValidateHardwareVersionAction>b__0 for task 5e8ee10b-d1e8-48ca-b58b-d8b6d12c007e.

2021-03-12 15:27:33,575 | WFE thread 5  | FATAL | ServiceCore.WorkflowEngine.ResyncSingleCloneTask - Action VMware.Sim.ServiceCore.Action.InvokeMethodAction failed. Task 5e8ee10b-d1e8-48ca-b58b-d8b6d12c007e finished in Failed state.