VMware Horizon Community
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Recompose "Wait for users to log off"

So back in the day this would often leave me with desktops that were on different versions and sometimes I would need to do a manual cleanup. I am now on 6.2 but have not used that functionality in some time... Are there any lingering issues? completely reliable now? Thoughts?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jeniferslabaugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One of my favorite features.  I've used it in 5.3.2-6.2.2 and have had no issues with it that weren't people problems, like a user that never logs off/always disconnects.

douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This has been my experience as well. You can get around this issue by simply setting a logoff timer. IE force the users to log off after 12 hours. You can also set the force users to logoff function with a longer timeout in the global settings.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
ablib
Contributor
Contributor

How do you force users off?  I'm finding desktops that have been up for hundreds of days.  I'm trying to find a way to log off after a set period of time.

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In the view manager, global settings > session timeout

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos
ablib
Contributor
Contributor

I remember seeing this the last time I explored this.  Our org is 24/7.  We needed a way to log off, IF the computer has been idle for a set amount of time.  We didn't want desktops logging off when people are in the middle of using them.

If you enable "Display warning before forced logoff", is there an option for the user to suspend the disconnect?

There also doesn't appear to be a way to designate what VDI pool you want this applied to.

0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok well I am going to go ahead and use it right now and if all goes sideways I am pretty much blaming you jeniferslabaugh

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Okay, then under the settings for the pool you can set it to force it to refresh or logoff after session disconnects and you set that to wait for an hour or so after the session disconnect.

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For what it is worth, I am sure that your people have a set shift schedule. If you make it force them to log off after 16 hours, I doubt you have people using sessions for more than 16 hours straight.

0 Kudos