VMware Horizon Community
keviom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recompose of Pools and Replica location and quantity question

I have a small 60 user Horizon View 6 installation which has been running for over 2 years (upgraded from earlier versions). It has 9 pools of Linked Cloned machines. These were originally created from one golden image with various snapshots used for different pools, but has evolved over the last 2 or 3 recomposes to there being 4 golden images - 3 used for 1 pool each and the other used by the remaining 6 pools. There are 3 hosts running the whole lot. Over the weekend I recomposed all of the pools to the latest snapshot for the relevant pool. As I went through the recompose I made sure that the settings were all the same in the General and Vcenter sections.of each pool. These being - No tick in the use separate data stores for OS and replica disks, and the same 4 data stores for all of the pools OS disks,(D1, D2, D3, and D4) and a separate data store  for the persistent disk (P1). I recomposed all machines in each pool at the same time, but scheduled each pool at different times over the weekend. Initially a few of the machines in the first couple of pools I worked on errored on the recompose due to a DNS issue of 2 entries for the KMS server, one of them pointing to the wrong machine, but once this was removed from DNS the recomposes worked correctly

Now for the bit I don't understand. When I checked Vcenter - Hosts and Clusters this morning, I found 7 replica machines, and 3 of the replicas had been placed on the persistent disk data store P1. I know that all 7 replicas are new and that the old ones have been removed as I had placed a comment in the descriptions of the old replicas so as to identify them and these replicas have all gone.

Is this standard behaviour, or has something gone wrong. If so how do I get back to where I thought I should be, which is either 4 replicas (one for each golden image/snapshot combination) or 9 replicas (one for each pool), and shouldn't all the replicas be stored on the same data stores as the linked clone  OS disks (D1-D4) and not on the persistent Disk Data store?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Have you went back into the edit pools screen, vcenter settings, datastores, and verified that the correct settings are listed?   I haven't run across an instance where View did not correctly follow the settings marked in that field.   Also,  the only way to get rid, combine, change what you already have is to create another snapshot and recompose to that. 

0 Kudos
keviom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry about delay in responding, but been out of the office last week.

Yes I did go back into the settings area to check. it is definitely set to the correct 4 datastores for the OS (D1 - D4) and a different datastore for the Persistent disks (P1). I have also double checked that none of the pools have the option to use different datastores for replicas and OS checked so why it should have placed some of the replicas on datastore P1 will remain a mystery.

Hopefully next time I recompose it will sort itself out.

0 Kudos