VMware Horizon Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Recompose error

Hey all,

I seem to run into this issue twice now and I'm not sure why. I just tried to recompose a small pool (2 desktops)...one completed successfully, but the other hung at customizing, then went to error.

No network communication between the VDM Agent and Connection Server. Please verify that the virtual desktop can ping the Connection Server via the FQDN.

I looked into vSphere and the desktop was at the ctrl+alt+delete screen, on the summary VMware tools said OK, but there is no IP address. I see why the error message was the above, but not sure why. The DHCP pool had enough available IP addresses free.

I wind up deleting the VMs, then they recreate on their own and they are fine.

Any suggestions?

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also, check your DNS server to see if entries were created for your failed VM. Also check your network settings under the VM settings and make sure that you are choosing the correct VLAN, if that is what you use. I have also had this problem because of virtual hardware problems. I was able to solve it my making sure that my video memory settings in my base VM was set to auto, under some versions of View this can be a problem. You may also want to check the settings on your hosts. Hope this helps. By the way, what versions of vsphere and view are you using?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you did an edit settings on the VM was the connect at start and connected boxes checked? 

VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did not check that while it was in error state...I just wound up deleting the VM.

The 2nd desktop in the pool was recomposed fine and has both those checked.

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also, check your DNS server to see if entries were created for your failed VM. Also check your network settings under the VM settings and make sure that you are choosing the correct VLAN, if that is what you use. I have also had this problem because of virtual hardware problems. I was able to solve it my making sure that my video memory settings in my base VM was set to auto, under some versions of View this can be a problem. You may also want to check the settings on your hosts. Hope this helps. By the way, what versions of vsphere and view are you using?

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interestly enough....when I look in my DHCP leases, the same computer has 2 entries, one for .30 and one for .90.....30 is what the new working desktop is using. If I look in DNS, the .90 has two different computer names assigned to it. I assume thats what caused it. I deleted all those bad entries.

I'm only using 1 VLAN, so everything on the Hosts network configuration looked good

I'm using 4.6 and vSphere 4.1 Update 1

As for the video, on the parent vm, i actually dont have it set to auto. I have it manually set to 128MB of Ram. Should it be set to auto? In some VDI template doc I found online, suggested setting the video to 128MB.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am having the same error...

• Current version of everything, desktops are Win7
  • Been working fine for a long time, regular recomposes without issues as needed.
  • Did a base image update today with latest MS Win Update (last one was 30 days ago) (no other changes)
  • Recomposed with new base image, got this same error
  • could not figure out how to fix it (everything appears fine in DNS, etc)
  • rolled back to previous base image and recomposed, came up just fine (I am on it now with iPad client typing this post).

This leads me to believe there is something in the last 30 days MS Win 7 updates that causes problems. I will try playing some more later with it but right now I'm not sure which one is causing the problem.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nope, not a MS update issue Smiley Sad  Trying a few things to see if I can see what's happening

< edit: after a few tries, it appears to be the new software I'm installing - affecting DNS maybe. >

0 Kudos
thomasrauprich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here. What's the new software you're installing? I installed some patches and MS Office 2010. Could this affect the DNS or something?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My issue was installing some security software... it was changing the DNS of the machine and then it couldn't compose.  I removed that software and everything went back to normal.  Sorry, wish I could help...

0 Kudos
cwall64
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you remember which MS update it was, or just the latest security update?

0 Kudos