VMware Horizon Community
bhamm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recompose - Wait for users to Log off

Hi,

I have a few dedicated assignment linked clone pools w/ persistent disks .  In the past, when I've done a recompose to update the pool's base image, I've always used the 'Force users to log off' option, announced the downtime to the group of users, and did all the updates for the pool at one time.  I did this so I could monitor the event in vsphere to make sure everything went well. It also didn't have a tremendous impact on the users, as I scheduled the downtime outside their regular working hours.

I have a new dedicated assignment linked clone pool for a group that operates nearly 24/7.  No individual user needs to stay on for that long, obviously, but the pool has at least one user most of the day.  I'd like to avoid having downtime in which everyone has to be off, if possible.

I've experimented with the "Wait for users to log off" option in the recompose menu.  From what I saw, it creates the new replica and then recomposes each desktop as it becomes available without denying access to the entire pool.  I left a test user logged onto one desktop in my test pool during a recompose for over 30 hours, and it didn't seem to cause a problem.  After I logged off, the desktop was updated, and the old replica was deleted (as this was the last desktop to be udpated).

If I recomposed like this with this group, I would expect the recompose operation would take around 24 hours, as a few users will be working at any given point, and some others will forget to log off at the end of their shift.

Does anyone recompose like this? Does it cause any problems for you? Is there anything I should be concerned about with regard to the stretching the operation out so long?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I've used this option before and never run into any problems.   My only concern would be the storage performance impact of rebuilding  desktops while people are working.  If the storage is robust then this shouldn't be a real concern.

psplnalin123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agreed with miI've used this option before and never run into any problems. My only concern would be the storage performance impact of rebuilding desktops while people are working. If the storage is robust then this shouldn't be a real concern.g this

I am using this option to my production pool which is running 24*7. when you do the recompose everytime it will create a new replica after that they will delete the previous replica.

I dont know for replica you have created this on SSD or not. Because when you do a recompose it will generate high I/O for read on the Replica Volume.

Please let me know if you require more details also.

bbevard
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed something today that I have not seen documented before.  I set a recompose with the option to wait for users to log off yesterday at 3:40pm.  Today at 3:40pm, 2 users who had not logged out overnight received the interrupt telling them that they were going to be recomposed.  Is there a 24 hour timeout on the recompose which forces it to occur after a certain period of time?

0 Kudos
centre21
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a similar issue: I've selected "Wait for users to log off", but for a handful of users, the system forces them to log off. Can someone explain why VSphere is ignoring the "Wait for users to log off" option for just a few users?

0 Kudos