VMware Horizon Community
Bradly
Contributor
Contributor

Recompose & Default Printers

I am using view 5.1.1 with linked clone desktops (windows 7).  We are still in a testing environment and I have managed to get everything working except this.  When I do a recompose we have problems with default printers.  The users I have on the system right now are tech savy enough to be able to go in and set there default but my questions is why and is there some way to fix this.  I was under the impression that the persona managment feature stored settings like default printer but it doesn't seem to be working correctly.  Please help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EricConley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do you map your printers?  Group Policy Preference, sign on script, locally installed,location based printing, etc?  If you have a good way to separate the machines, i.e. hostname or VLAN, I would try using location based printing and defining your defualt printers that way rather than trying to have it saved in the persona.  If you're set on using the persona to track default printers, make sure you enable the policy to redirect local settings and that should include your printer settings.

Bradly
Contributor
Contributor

They are locally installed.  I have found a way to get it to work.  I am already using login and logout scripts to keep a persistant state on a few .ini files that some of our in house software uses for per user configuration (through GPO).  I just added a script to export the regestry key with he default printer at logout and import it again at login.

The key can be exported with a single line

regedit /e x:/printer.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows"

And reimported just as easy

regedit x:/printer.reg

I can say this is not the most elegant way nor probably the "right" way but it works.

Hopefully someone else will find this useful.  Simular scripts can be used to move most anything from your cloned disk to the persistant drives and back again to maintain consistancy when necissary with some applicaitons.

Brad

0 Kudos
EricConley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You could also just map the printers with a logon script or group policy preference and as long as you have the printer drivers installed on the master imgae you shouldn't see any login time increase.

0 Kudos