VMware Horizon Community
BOOKER
Contributor
Contributor

Recommendations for Profile manager

We're planning on using windows vista for virtual desktops on wyse stations. In our testing we are seeing how profiles take long to create and get applied.

What does anyone here recommend for profile management. I'd like to see the the whole process get speeded up. But would also like to see deployment and management. This is our first time looking at this so I don't know what kind of gotchas we may miss.

I've seen Appsense, RTO, Res Powerfuse and Script Start mentioned. Anyone have any feedback on these, and costs?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
regnak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Appsense is the best out there but costs the most - around €50 per user, less if you buy more. It claims to be able to allow you to change the underlying O/S in View and still allow the profile to work (XP -> Vista anyway).

RTO Virtual Profiles (€35 / user) uses compression on the File Share where the profile is located and only streams what it needs when the user logs in. I don't think it offers the same degree of manipulation as Appsense but it's the next best out there.

Both should be able to tackle the issue of lifting a local physical PC user profile and making it roaming for View.

To ba fair I've only seen demos, no clients have taken up the cost, was hoping RTO would be in View 4 but alas it's going to be another 6 months to a year before it makes it in I reckon.

Mike

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

AppSense is an awesome product, it is the most feature rich of the products mentioned. the $50 dollars mentioned is list price and you should be able to get a better one from your reseller. I would contact your nearest reseller or AppSense direct for a demo/Proof of Concept I beleive you would be very impressed. Also there is Liquidware Labs new product.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Another few options are:

RES Powerfuse (Similar capabilites as Appsense but with some additional features)

Immidio Flex Profiles (Similar to RTO)

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Really I would argue the RES is a much inferior product compared to UEM

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
srynoname
Contributor
Contributor

sorry for disturbing the thread, can somebody please explain me shortly, what the advantages of those profile applications are?

0 Kudos
regnak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Basically one of the most valuable things to an end user is their profile. This environment takes years to develop and if wiped months to get it back the way you remember. Think of all the spell checker customisations, outlook autocomplete entries, shortcuts and different applications tweaks you make over the years. Loosing or resetting a clients profile causes the most headaches in any Terminal Server / VDI deployment I've encountered. Users don't care about the complexities, they just want it back and working "like they remember".

So onto profile management - with Active Directory & GPOs you can set up roaming profiles and such. You can tweak the users environment, apply custom MS Office GPOs etc but you can't get into profile in depth. You can edit the default user profile to get down and dirty but to do this for each VDI Master or TS Server can be tedious.

What the Profile Managers offer is twofold. One they have a way of centralising profiles and intelligently managing them. RTO stores the profile on a compressed format on the file share and streams it back to the user on an on demand basis - plus it only streams what's needed, say a 100 meg profile only streams 20 meg down when they log in and the rest is only sent if it's accessed or needed.

Profile Managers understand which areas of the profile are important. Office 2007 for example stores some of it's customisation is an area of the profile that is not typically saved. This layer of understanding is provided through a GUI which allows lower level techs to understand and develop the profile environment in a much easier way.

Appsense claim to be able to abstract the profile so well that you can change the underlying O/S and it can load the old profile on the new O/S and still present the users desktop the same way they remember.

The best way to check these out is to request a demo or ring up your reseller and ask for a webex demo so you can see it in action.

Hope this helps a bit!

Mike

0 Kudos
srynoname
Contributor
Contributor

great explaination, thank you very much!

0 Kudos
BOOKER
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the repsonses foks. Anyone with any experience with opensource alternatives?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

There used to be an opensource alternative called FlexProfiles it was hosted on the LoginConsultant web site, however that has now been farmed off to an outfit called immido and I belive it is not costed.

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”.

0 Kudos
virtual-insanit
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks as always for your support Tom!

I would love to know how you would be in a position to argue that RES (I assume you mean RES PowerFuse?) is a "much inferior product compared to UEM"

Whilst I am aware you are a "Virtualisation Guru" I wonder how extensive your knowledge of our product is?

We would be delighted to assist anyone with a genuine interest in User Workspace Management

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I have ample experiance of both AppSense and Res Powerfuse over the 10 years, both within the VDI space and before that Citrix. I am older than I look

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”.

0 Kudos