VMware Horizon Community
digerati646
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Reboot a view connection server, connections get disconnected?

I have a view connection server and a view security server.  All connections are pointed at the view security server and both the HTTPS secure tunnel and the PCoIP Secure Gateway are checked in the View Connection server settings page.

If I reboot my view connection server, will this disconnect my active sessions?  I don't think it should since all connections are flowing through the security server but I'm not sure.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It should not impact the already connected users but the web page will be down and unable to service any new connections until the machine has started back up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It should not impact the already connected users but the web page will be down and unable to service any new connections until the machine has started back up.

0 Kudos
digerati646
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, thought that was probably the case.  I will be testing it out in the next couple days to confirm this.

0 Kudos
samrein
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When you shutdown the connection broker all hostet vms are disconnect.

0 Kudos
Zaim33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In testing I'm seeing when the Connection server is rebooted then any connections via the server are dropped, be that from a physical client or the soft client. VMware's documentation informs the same, unless it's a direct connnection and the agent is installed.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102602...

Yet I'm reading various answers like above that say the users will not be disconnected. Is there configuration that is required to ensure the connections do not get disconnected? This is in relation to View 5.3.

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Zaim33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Think I've got it. In the example at the start of this discussion a reboot of the Connection server will not effect already connected clients. If the PCoIP Secure Gateway is configured to point to the Connection server then connections will be dropped because the Connection server is behaving as a proxy.

With the PCoIP Secure Gateway unconfigured (unchecked) then a reboot of the Connection server will not affect connected clients.

If you are allowing external access to your View infrastructure then it's worth having the Secure Gateway configured but paired with a Connection server that your internal users are not connecting to. The reason being that internal users connecting to a paired configuration with Secure Gateway configured will route to the Security Server, which may not be desired.

As per VMware KB: 1036208

"The PCoIP Secure Gateway configuration is applicable to a Connection Server and Security Server pair. If you want to configure the gateway for external users only, you need a replica Connection Server without PCOIP Secure Gateway configured for internal users to connect to."

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos