VMware Horizon Community
pavlouc
Contributor
Contributor

Reboot a VDM

Hi, we have a client using View4 to connect to their Virtual Desktops, they are using persistent desktops. I was under the impression that View4 allows a user to reboot their Virtual Desktop, looks like the only option they have is to reset their desktops, or log off/log on, but no reboot.

Obviously their desktops end up running for months before I enforce a manual reboot, I want to know if there is a way to get the reboot feature showing on the desktop to allow the users to reboot their desktops themselves.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The reset option which you can enable under the desktop settings will allow the user to reset (reboot) their VM's.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
pauljawood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

In the old View 3 you had the option to do a guest reboot but that has been replaced in View 4 by the reset. I would suggest that you checked your GPO setting in AD to see if the users have the option to allow the user to reboot there own machines.

You could also look in the 'C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\Extras' folder on the Broker and add the ADM files so that you can change many more settings relating to your VDI environment.

-

If you found this helpful then please leave some points.

0 Kudos
pavlouc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies, as far as i understand it the "reset" is a cold reset of the machine and not a proper graceful reboot right?

0 Kudos
pauljawood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

The reset is as if you where to power of the machine using the switch so a dirty reboot. This is useful if the vm has stopped responding. The option you are looking for is probably being blocked by GPO as I suggested above.

-

pavlouc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I believe the reboot command isn't showing as it's an RDP connection, there's no GPO, I'm sure of it. I'll create a bacth file with the shutdown command.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Check out this KB article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303070

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos