VMware Horizon Community
kovals
Contributor
Contributor

Rebalancing persistent desktops - need help

I have 30 persistent desktops spread between 2 LUN's. I added 2 more LUN's and now i want to spread those desktops between 4 LUN's.

What exactly should i do now? After making sure all the desktops are in Ready state and selecting them all should i press the Rebalance button and wait until the process is over? How would i know the process is over?

I tried to do it with my test pool and after pressing the Rebalance button the Task pane changed to "Rebalancing" and it stays like that for ever... What is the normal behaviour i should expect?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Did you add the new datastores into the pool configuration? You may need to hit F5 after it's been going awhile to get a refresh of the screen.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
kovals
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i did. I have added the 2 new LUN's to the pool configuration.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I would kickoff the rebalance again. If it goes awhile without updating I would refresh by hitting F5.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
kovals
Contributor
Contributor

No, still nothing, sorry.

I want to understand what is the normal behaviour of rebalance process? The VM shuts down, copies the files to another LUN, restart again and thats it?

0 Kudos
regnak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I had fun with this a few months ago. I ended up deselecting the original LUN and only selecting the new LUN in the Pool and then selecting the VMs I wanted to move manually and then selected Rebalance. Until I did that View didn't automatically take any notice of my attempts. It was 4.0 RTM so maybe it's a bug or something I did wrong. I contacted Support but didn't get a clear explanation of how this procedure should work.

Hope this helps,

Mike

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The process is a shutdown, a rebuild of the VM back to the base image, and then coming back online. I'm not sure how View determines which of the available datastores that the VM is created on.

0 Kudos